Re: Contributor Agreement License details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 03:19:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:
Good point. Perhaps an additional comment like:

In order to avoid the listing of all contributing part authors it is sufficient
to give credit to "the LDraw Parts Library" in Derivative Works in lieu of such
a list.

As an addition to the end of the licence?

Maybe it's just me, but if renderings are considered derivative works, we need
to seriously step back and think long and hard about whether or not we are OK
with that.  I personally think that forcing renderings to have text on them
acknowledging that the parts came from the LDraw Parts Library is a serious
restriction, and very different from how things are now.  My understanding was
that the intent in switching to the CA license was to force people who
distributed the actual part files to be bound by it, NOT for people doing
renderings.  Am I mistaken that this was the original intent?

I agree, clarification on rendered images is needed. If a rendering using LDraw
parts is a derivative work, and derivative works are required to visibly display
credit, that's a problem. It won't show up on my renders; I don't burn "Credit:
Photoshop Dev Team" on images I make with Photoshop, there's no reason to put it
into LDraw-derived images.

- Kelly

As one of the CA's authors, my view on this is that you should state somewhere
in your distribution of the image (i.e. on the web page hosting it, as a text
file in a .zip, on the image itself, etc...) that the content were derived from
the LDraw Official Library and detail can be found at LDraw.org.

Note that the above is my opinion only and not the official position of
LDraw.org since I am not a SteerCo member and cannot set policy.

-Orion

In publishing, that type of info is usually contained in a colophon, the use of
which is sadly fading from popularity. Some few web sites include this level of
detail in their "About" section.

I agree it would be nice to see attribution in some form, but in practice I
don't really see it happening too often. Including it in an accompanying
"readme.txt" file (or equivalent) is certainly more palatable than having to
burn text into an image, but even then it should be voluntary rather than
mandatory.

- Kelly