Re: Contributor Agreement License details - updated version
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:33:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dean Earley wrote:
Willy Tschager wrote:
LDraw.org is the sole entity responsible for enforcement of the Parts
Library copyrights. It is the LDraw Steering Committee's (SteerCo's)
policy to enforce the copyright only for commercial usage of the LDraw
Parts Library in Derivative Works such as models and renderings. If you
are unsure if your Derivative Works fall under this category please
contact LDraw.org.

So, basically, the licence means you need to credit LDraw whenever you
render/create a model from it, but SteerCo aren't bothered unless its
for commercial use?

Precisely.

Wow!  In my opinion, that's an extremely poor interpretation of
"derivative works".  Consider the model file.  It most likely contains
no actual bits of the LDRAW library.  It simply contains references to
the parts in the library, by names like 3001.dat.  But that name
itself is merely a reference to the number stamped inside the real
physical bricks manufactured in China.  How did that number get there?
Was it generated by some enterprise software middleware used at Lego
corporate headquarters?  Perhaps we need to credit that software in
all the model files as well?  Where does it all end?

Think about it,

Don

In the case of model files I agree it is muddy however a model file means little
without the parts to use it. If people wish to try to sell LDraw files without
an attribution they are welcome to do so and you are probably right that
LDraw.org could do nothing about it. The situation here is probably similar to
the way DLLs are licensed for use under the GPL and LGPL but IANAL and am not
going to try to be one.

In the case of a render the finished product is most definitely a derivative
work as without the parts it could not exist. As such it falls most distinctly
under the realms of the license.

To be pedantic, the numbering scheme is standard based on the numbers used by
TLG. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Parts Library license. In fact if
you really wanted to be pedantic the numbers are, ultimately, chosen by the PT
Admins who are volunarily working for the LDraw organisation so the rights to
the numbers are owned by LDraw.org.

As for means of transmission you are throwing up pointless and meaningless
rubbish.

Tim (in a personal capacity)