Re: Contributor Agreement License details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:15:23 GMT

I agree, clarification on rendered images is needed. If a rendering using LDraw
parts is a derivative work, and derivative works are required to visibly display
credit, that's a problem. It won't show up on my renders; I don't burn "Credit:
Photoshop Dev Team" on images I make with Photoshop, there's no reason to put it
into LDraw-derived images.

- Kelly

While rendered images are Derivative Works, I do not think you would have to add
anything such as a copyright notice to them.  The language of the CALicense.txt
paragraph 4.2 says to the extent reasonably practicable or at a minimum where
you give yourself credit.

In other words, if your rendered image is "clean," you would not have to add
anything to it, in my opinion, because it is then not reasonably practicable to
add it.  However, whereever you put a copyright notice, such as "(c)Kelly" on
your picture, in some accompanying text, at the bottom of your website, etc. it
must also contain acknowledgement to the parts authors...or if it can be done to
the LDraw Parts Library.