 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 492
Re: LDGLite outputting gobble-dee-goo to terminal window
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:41:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse wrote:
That means I also have to adjust any OpenGL context dependent bug fixes
whenever the the window is resized.

Having said this, it should be noted that if you have an older video
card in Windows, and resize a relatively small window to be larger
than the video card can handle, it becomes very slow, apparently
going into software mode.  I'm not sure how it is handled, but the
context doesn't change, and is still listed as being provided by the
video card, not Microsoft (at least with my ATI card at work).

So you're saying that if I ask for the GL_RENDERER etc strings after
a window resize I'll get the same ones I started with no matter what?
(I added some code to check it anyway just in case)  That really sux.
Who designed that feature, Microsoft?

However, any time you go to fullscreen mode at a different
resolution or color depth, you are supposed to completely destroy
your original context, and create a new one from scratch.  This
requires you to also destroy and re-create the window that the
context is attached to, because the two are closely linked.  After
doing this, you have to rebuild any display lists, rebind any
textures, and do all of your other first-time OpenGL setup.

I guess that explains why games like to go fullscreen in a particular
video mode and stay there.