 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 487
Re: LDGLite outputting gobble-dee-goo to terminal window
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 03:02:15 GMT

In article <HIJAzM.468@lugnet.com>,
"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
I don't know if it's ldglite or Mac OS X 10.2.6, but something is up
with running ldglite in 16bit mode. I took a movie...
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/ldglite(16bit).mov
If it is Mac OS X then I wouldn't bother. If it is LDGLite, then, well
if you have the time... :)

If it doesn't happen with the 0.9.5 version of ldglite then it's a bug.
I suspect it may be the code I wrote to avoid the Windows nagware
tooltips and reminder windows.  It's supposed to copy the front color
buffer into the backbuffer after an full redraw.  This way I can
quickly redisplay it without redrawing from scratch if a tooltip or
nagware blurb temporarily obscures the window.  It doesn't work as
well as I'd like and perhaps I'll disable it for everything but Windows.
Does OSX have anything like the annoying Windows tooltips and popup
nagware that Windows XP seems to be riddled with?  I swear, everytime
XP poops up that "Updates are ready for you" window and steals the
mouse pointer I want to kick it.

It happens with the 0.95 version to.

In that case, I may just have to say don't use it in 16 bit mode.
Does ldglite report ATI instead of "Apple Generic" in 16 bit mode?
I know the ATI windows drivers on my old 4MB Rage Pro are so bad that
they're unusable.  However, on windows the ATI "accelerated" drivers
take over from the Microsoft "Generic" software only opengl driver
whenever I try to run in 16 bit mode.  The "hardware acceleration"
is miserable on the functions I use and it's extremely buggy, so
I never use 16 bit mode.  I probably should recommend the same for
Apple users with vintage ATI hardware.  So let's concentrate on solving
the problems in 32 bit mode for the Apple Generic driver.

When running at 16 bit the ATi drivers are loaded unless I mistakenly
type ./ldglite -le -v1024,7400 mini.dat (instead of 740). When the
window is set to 800x600 selecting and moving bricks works fine, but
selecting and moving behaves badly when the window is set to 1024x740.

Other weird things to note. When
the stencil buffer isn't disabled, gooble-dee-goo is drawn to the
screen. The gobble-dee-goo dissappears when the window is moved.
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/800x600-0.9.9b.jpg

I'm confused here.  How do you enable the stencil buffer?  Is this
really a 16bit ATI driver problem?  I'm guessing that in 16bit mode
the driver reports its ATI and not Apple so I don't disable the
stencil buffer, and you get garbage.  More evidence that the vintage
ATI drivers suck and should be avoided.  Hmmm, I wonder if I can
request a software driver instead if I get stuck with a 16 bit ATI
driver...

Do you check for the amount of VRAM installed before disabling the
stencil bufferr? If so, I was going to suggest that you disable the
stencil buffer at lower resolutions. 0.9.9b behaves badly at resolutions
<800x600. I haven't done the math or the experimentation to dertermine
how low I have to go. If you don't check the VRAM, then it seems silly
to make other Mac users suffer because of us old timers.

I don't actually know how to check how much VRAM is installed via
software?  I suspect it's probably some nasty OS specific thing.

Does 0.9.9b print something different about the opengl drivers at
lower resolutions?  Are you talking about screen resolution or window
size?

Don

Yep, 0.9.9b reports different drivers at lower window resolution. The
only screen setting that I have been changing

screen settings 1024x768, 32bit
[wine-and-crackers:~/LEGO/dats] cjmasi% ./ldglite099b -le -v800,600
mini.dat
GL_VERSION = 1.1 ATI-1.2.22
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_specular_vector
GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_fence
GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators
GL_APPLE_element_array GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_light_max_exponent
GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422
GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
GL_VENDOR ='ATI Technologies Inc.'
GL_RENDERER ='ATi Rage 128 Pro OpenGL Engine'
GL_RGBA_BITS: (8, 8, 8, 8)
GL_DEPTH_BITS = 24
GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8
Buffer Swap Mode = 0

same screen settings
[wine-and-crackers:~/LEGO/dats] cjmasi% ./ldglite099b -le -v1024,740
mini.dat
GL_VERSION = 1.1 APPLE-1.1
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_specular_vector
GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_fence
GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators
GL_APPLE_element_array GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_light_max_exponent
GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_imaging
GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422
GL_VENDOR ='Apple'
GL_RENDERER ='Generic'
GL_RGBA_BITS: (8, 8, 8, 8)
GL_DEPTH_BITS = 32
GL_STENCIL_BITS = 8
Stencil buffer disabled for XOR with Apple driver.
Buffer Swap Mode = 0
Editing mode =  1{0}
EXPOSED window during editing
EXPOSED window during editing

[wine-and-crackers:~/LEGO/dats] cjmasi% ./ldglite099b -le -v640,480
[...]

Whoa, that is weird. Are you calling different drivers or is the OS
doing that? By the way, 640x480 works fine selecting parts and moving
them in -le or -LE mode. 800x600 doesn't, and 1024x740 works as
previously described.

Man nothing works like you would expect it to when you are programing,
huh :)?

Chris