 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 485
Re: LDGLite outputting gobble-dee-goo to terminal window
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:59:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
I don't know if it's ldglite or Mac OS X 10.2.6, but something is up
with running ldglite in 16bit mode. I took a movie...
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/ldglite(16bit).mov
If it is Mac OS X then I wouldn't bother. If it is LDGLite, then, well
if you have the time... :)

If it doesn't happen with the 0.9.5 version of ldglite then it's a bug.
I suspect it may be the code I wrote to avoid the Windows nagware
tooltips and reminder windows.  It's supposed to copy the front color
buffer into the backbuffer after an full redraw.  This way I can
quickly redisplay it without redrawing from scratch if a tooltip or
nagware blurb temporarily obscures the window.  It doesn't work as
well as I'd like and perhaps I'll disable it for everything but Windows.
Does OSX have anything like the annoying Windows tooltips and popup
nagware that Windows XP seems to be riddled with?  I swear, everytime
XP poops up that "Updates are ready for you" window and steals the
mouse pointer I want to kick it.

It happens with the 0.95 version to.

In that case, I may just have to say don't use it in 16 bit mode.
Does ldglite report ATI instead of "Apple Generic" in 16 bit mode?
I know the ATI windows drivers on my old 4MB Rage Pro are so bad that
they're unusable.  However, on windows the ATI "accelerated" drivers
take over from the Microsoft "Generic" software only opengl driver
whenever I try to run in 16 bit mode.  The "hardware acceleration"
is miserable on the functions I use and it's extremely buggy, so
I never use 16 bit mode.  I probably should recommend the same for
Apple users with vintage ATI hardware.  So let's concentrate on solving
the problems in 32 bit mode for the Apple Generic driver.

Other weird things to note. When
the stencil buffer isn't disabled, gooble-dee-goo is drawn to the
screen. The gobble-dee-goo dissappears when the window is moved.
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/800x600-0.9.9b.jpg

I'm confused here.  How do you enable the stencil buffer?  Is this
really a 16bit ATI driver problem?  I'm guessing that in 16bit mode
the driver reports its ATI and not Apple so I don't disable the
stencil buffer, and you get garbage.  More evidence that the vintage
ATI drivers suck and should be avoided.  Hmmm, I wonder if I can
request a software driver instead if I get stuck with a 16 bit ATI
driver...

Do you check for the amount of VRAM installed before disabling the
stencil bufferr? If so, I was going to suggest that you disable the
stencil buffer at lower resolutions. 0.9.9b behaves badly at resolutions
<800x600. I haven't done the math or the experimentation to dertermine
how low I have to go. If you don't check the VRAM, then it seems silly
to make other Mac users suffer because of us old timers.

I don't actually know how to check how much VRAM is installed via
software?  I suspect it's probably some nasty OS specific thing.

Does 0.9.9b print something different about the opengl drivers at
lower resolutions?  Are you talking about screen resolution or window
size?

Don