 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 497
Re: LDGLite outputting gobble-dee-goo to terminal window
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 02:12:14 GMT

In article <HIqppt.1F5o@lugnet.com>,
"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote:

Oops... before I get to excited, moving a piece creates some bitchin'
trail lines :) that go away when the view is changed.

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/trail_lines.png

I think I may have found the cause of this one.

  http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/704/2000/9/0/4312491/

This guy found the same bug on his Mac.  Writing to the GL_FRONT
buffer seems to also write over whatever you may have stashed away
in the GL_BACK buffer.  The only workaround I can think of is to
copy the image to regular system memory, or redraw the whole model
every time you move a part.  Copying an an opengl image buffer to
system memory is typically quite slow.  How slow are the full
model redraws when you change the view?

Don

  Less that a second for my Mini, but it is mini :) About 4 seaconds for
my black tank car, which has 284 (?) parts. About 8 seconds to draw my
GP30. The dat for the GP30 has 817 lines (not all of them are parts).
  Redraw the model every time... that would mean a eight second wait for
every move of the brick, right? I think that would be a bad idea. The
intro level Macs aren't that much faster than mine.
   How bad a hit is system memory? Do the new fancy Macs have the smae
trail line problem?
  My feeling is... as long as you are having fun tracking down bugs,
track away, but if it it is driving you crazy, and you are only fixing
it for us old timers (though there are always more Mac old timers than
there are in other OS's) a big "don't do this, but this works fine"
section in the read me would be more than adequate.

Chris