 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 484
Re: GLUT 3.2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:25:56 GMT

In article <HIIDCI.217E@lugnet.com>,
"Tom Bozzo" <abozzo*nospam@midplains.net> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Charles McLachlan wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
Errrr.... I can get GLUT for Mac OS X 5 (GLUT-3.0) to compile without a
problem, but the GLUT currently posted on Apple's developer site, GLUT
for Mac OS X 7 (GLUT-3.2), won't compile. ...
ld: table of contents for archive: ./libForeground.a is out of date;
rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

Solution(?): Do as the message says and find libForeground.a (probably in
your
GLUT tree somewhere). Run ranlib on it. Make again (without a make clean or
reconfiguration, otherwise another bad libForeground will be created).

Charles, thanks.  This solution worked for me. (Sorry Chris, I posted in the
ldglite thread before trying this out -- it worked much faster than I
thought!)
Perhaps the other error was dependent on the libForeground problem.

Chris, since libForeground.a is in /yourpath/glut, you should only need to
issue
"ranlib libForeground.a" before "pbxbuild install," following the build
instructions on the Apple GLUT page.  Apple System Profiler reports
GLUT.framework version 3.2 after you copy the new version over.  (I saved the
official version elsewhere first.)

--Tom

Thanks, I read your other post, so I won't be trying to compile the
newer GLUT. The only reason I used to play around with GLUTs was to get
LDGLite working correctly. Since discovering that GLUT 2.2.8 does give
the pop up menu, I have switched back to the officially shipping glut.
If I don't see a clear advantage to changing things I like to leave them
alone.

Chris