 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 465
Re: GLUT 3.2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:28:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:
Errrr.... I can get GLUT for Mac OS X 5 (GLUT-3.0) to compile without a
problem, but the GLUT currently posted on Apple's developer site, GLUT
for Mac OS X 7 (GLUT-3.2), won't compile. • ...
ld: table of contents for archive: ./libForeground.a is out of date;
rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

I've played this game before. The BSD (or whatever OSX is underneath) linker is
more picky about its archives than Linux or (probably) solaris. When people port
code from these systems to OSX they sometimes forget to add the extra ranlib
calls needed to placate the linker. If this is the right answer, then I'm
surprised the Apple people didn't notice it.

Solution(?): Do as the message says and find libForeground.a (probably in your
GLUT tree somewhere). Run ranlib on it. Make again (without a make clean or a
reconfiguration, otherwise another bad libForeground will be created).
3) Profit.

ld: warning prebinding disabled because dependent library:
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLU.d
ylib can't be searched

This second error is more mysterious and might mean I've got the wrong end of
the stick. Anyway, worth a try.