 Administrative / General / 280
Re: LUGNet Chat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:56:29 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
I started to do this, but really, it can all be condensed to this, IMHO.

Any of the more advanced systems will consume more of your time than this is
worth -- I'd rather you concentrate your effort on other parts of LUGnet.

Ditto.  All this talk about "talkers" vs "IRC clients" is kinda silly
to me.  I think there is no denying that IRC is more popular and more
common.  I don't know everything about the net, but I've played on my
share of MUD's (always found them rather lame, but I'm a pen and paper
gamer from the old days, so I would) and I do IRC now, and I've never
once heard of talkers before.  Seems like all the talk about how
talkers promote more social interactions come from fairly biased
people who like them a whole lot and just happen to see it that way.
I "emote" all the time on IRC.  I see things like *dwa kicks Cerberus
and *Cerberus falls over dead and that's as "real" to me as any other
chat system I've seen - including dedicated BBS versions that sound
exactly like these talkers.  It's all text on a screen, man.  You make
of it what you want.

That having been said, I'm trying to do more and more of my news
reading at home in my recliner in front of the TV with Rachael in the
living room, not off in the computer room by myself. (Although that
may change when I build our new system next week so she can play
Caesar 3 whenever she wants.)  I don't need another reason to keep the
laptop on and heating up one of my legs and I doubt I would
participate much, if any at all, in a Lugnet-hosted chat system.

I'm already on one chat system most of the day at work and a little at
night, but that's a system run by and for computer professionals who
have reason to sit at their machines most of the day like me.  I doubt
we'd get the kind of dedicated userbase out of RTL folks - too many
different jobs, level of connectivity, etc.

If there's a freely-available pre-packaged solution that requires minimal
configuration that someone knows of, that might be worth looking into, but
otherwise....

And since Todd has already stated his opinion about requiring source
code for anything he uses, this whole discussion might be as moot as
the suggestion that he slap a several thousand dollar discussion board
system onto something that already works.  :)

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide