 Administrative / General / 242
Re: LUGNet Chat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 22:41:52 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
slrn71t391.8c1.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu...
Alex Wetmore <alex@phred.org> wrote:
Talkers of the type which you are talking about are very hard to use • unless
you use a special telnet client such as tinyfugue.  Without one incoming
talk lines will show up in the middle of what you are typing.

That's not true. Linemode is a standard telnet option and should be
supported by any good telnet client. See RFC #1184.

Yes, I know this.  But using standard telnet with a talk system in linemode
means that other peoples text will interrupt your typing.  I personally find
that this makes it hard to keep track of what is going on.  Its certainly
not necessary in the 90s... we can move beyond the talk implementation that
Compuserve had 10 years ago.

alex