 Administrative / General / 223
Re: LUGNet Chat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:39:08 GMT

Richard Franks wrote in message
<361CCF8D.873@__no_spam_please_im_veggie__spider.com>...
The main draw for a talker over IRC would be that you can access it via
standard telnet - which is a lot simpler for most users as virtually
everyone with an internet connection has a version of telnet.

This is also a drawback (and I can say this with experience, after
developing unix bbs software which was mostly used as a talker in its heyday
(1994 or so).  to see it telnet to yabbs.phred.org port 8888 or go to
http://www.phred.org/yabbs and download a yabbs client).  For an
international community (what LUGNet should be) telnet based talkers don't
work that well.  Telnet is an character by character interactive protocol
which has terrible lag when trying to talk from across the world.
Additionally most of the telnet based talkers that I've taken a look at
(haven't looked in a few years) have pretty bad user interfaces.

An IRC network would allow someone to use a graphical client.  If we want
something that is easy for users to use then I'm sure someone could develop
a Java based client to IRC (or there must be 10 or 15 out there already)
which could be run interactively on a webpage.  For the rest of us who
already use IRC (I also use it on a private network... the public ones
aren't very interesting) we could just open up another session to LUGNet
when we have a chance to talk Lego (probably not too often for me).
Finally, servers could be setup around the world to make interactive
performance better for those who are reaching LUGNet from other corners of
the globe.  A telnet based talker system would mostly leave them high and
dry.  A proprietry client/server system (such as the yabbs system that I
wrote) could be developed, but it would probably be easier for most folks if
the widely available IRC system was just used.

alex