 Administrative / General / 215
Re: LUGNet Chat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 04:06:23 GMT

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998 02:17:43 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Perhaps a Princess.... <sarah@eskimo.com> wrote:
This is what I meant about MUSHes. IF I go somewhere to talk, it's
going to be a MUSH 98 times out of a 100 (Maybe more)

Never heard of these.  What are they?  And what is the draw for them
over standard IRC?

A MUSH is a game that you telnet to. Usually, they are centered around
a specific theme (most of those I played were Pern, though I started
on a Star Trek theme one) There is more than one background code base
that people use to create these -- I've played on code bases called
tinyMUSH, Lambda MOO, and MUSE (don't know the whole name there) These
are sorta like "operating systems" for the game.

You create a character, put descriptions on yourselves, build
locations, etc on a MUSH. Personally, the reason I hang out on a MUSH
as opposed to IRC even when all I want to do is talk, and not just
roleplay a character, is because of the caliber of people who tend to
hang out there. I've been on IRC a few times. NONE of those times have
I been impressed with the people who hang out there.

On MUSH, you can use WHO to see who is online, find out where they
are, hold smaller conversations by going to a different room, log what
is being said (if you have a suitable MUSH-playing helper program,
like tinyfugue/tf). Using these programs, you can also play on more
than one program at once,  recall what was said within the last so
many lines, etc.

Sarah Heacock