 Administrative / General / 188
Re: LUGNet Chat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 03:07:11 GMT

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 03:47:22 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

I'd been wondering the same thing as Greg since the first day we started the
testing in August -- when we noticed how "instantly" newly posted articles
appeared.  It's not real-time chat by any stretch of the imagination, but it's
about halfway between IRC and Usenet.

I wonder what a special group named  lugnet.chat  would be like if articles
were expired from it very quickly.  Worth setting up as an experiment?

Oh! You thought he was asking for a lugnet.chat group... I thought he
was asking for an IRC type real-time set up here. How would this group
be different from other newsgroups?

HOW fast would articles expire? I have to manually ask for new
messages when I want to get them... So it's not the same as real time
chatting.

Threaded chat, hmm.  :)

Refreshes of article listings aren't automatic in all newsreaders (they are in
'trn' at least, which is pretty cool!) but a manual refresh might not be all
that painful with some readers...hmm...hmm.

What do you mean, refreshes of article listings? Once I've downloaded
it, its on my computer until I purge it. I can answer news group posts
that were posted YEARS ago, if I held onto them. As long as you don't
try to reuse message IDs or something (That would be nasty)

Sarah