 Administrative / General / 248
Re: LUGNet Chat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:38:22 GMT

sarah@eskimo.com (Perhaps a Princess....) writes:

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998 22:54:52 GMT, "Alex Wetmore" <alex@phred.org>
wrote:

I'm suggesting that LUGnet setup their own IRC server.  This would not be
part of the IRC network, so you would be able to access it just fine.  I
think that one problem which people are having is seperating the idea of IRC
the protocol with IRC the talk network (which is technically called EFNet).
IRC the network has tons of problems which I don't think LUGnet needs to be
involved in.  IRC the protocol is an RFC standard which is widely
implemented.

*shrug* The argument is probably moot. Likely, I would not use an IRC
server. There is not much ttle more probability that I would use a
talker either. I simply don't have the time for either.

News provides me plenty of reason to talk as is :)

Sarah

My head is starting to spin with all this info...  Could someone who's
experienced with all or most of these be really nice and post a summary
(starting a new thread) where things are listed in an advantages/disadvantes
format?

   News  vs.  IRC  vs.  talkers  vs.  MUD/MUSH  vs.  (more if any)

   RFC standards and software compliance?  (platforms, OSs, etc.)

   Depth of discussions?  (single line  vs.  threaded  vs.  other)

   Multiple rooms/areas?

   Text or Graphical?

   Load on server?

   Packets across net?