 Administrative / General / 1895
Re: problem with dat groups.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:37:51 GMT

Todd, I realize I'm jumping in on this kinda late.

First I noticed out of the hopper was that pages load more slowly. Not a
complaint, just an observation. It made me sit up at work and take notice
because I thought my connection was slow, which is not typical for that time
of day.

And I like the nice clean lines of the screens. The "blockishness" of it makes
it look good. Sections are tastefully well-defined without going overboard or
making it look too cartoonish. (I'm not a big fan of a lot of borders around
objects on a page, and having graphics that have lots of outlines. Having said
that, I should fix up the baylug space page :)

-Please make the title the link.  The little square is a lot harder to
click on precisely, especially when my resolution is set really high
(necessary for what I do here at work.)

Done.

Thanks! This did make it much easier.

-Since scripts are used to access messages, can't you allow the user
to select how they want to view the groups?  (it would be stored in
cookies, or there could be an alternate series of pages)

This might be an enhanced feature later.

That would be real nice, but it sounds like work.

But note that the web interface
isn't intended to be a replacement for a real newsreader.

But I still like it.

It'll probably
never be any better than "just good enough."

Oh, I don't know about that. The traffic page is my lugnet home page, so I use
the web'face, especially if I'm following a conversation as closer to real
time without an actual chat. Reading messages from the web'face is a bit more
convenient than waiting for my newsreader to open up too. The graphic thread
representation, while not perfect, does make it easier to follow
conversations. And besides, there's no direct link to "Open in newsreader"
anymore that I've seen, so using my newsreader is now more of a hassle. If you
add it back in, I won't object.

-I liked the reply button at the top, 'cause its a pain to have to scroll
the screen when I want to reply to a message (messages with dat files are
even worse).

Mee too. It's placement inside the shaded message box is quite appropriate -
it's move was a nice intuitive nuance.

Also, the 20 more, [...] links at the bottom are quite excellent. Much better
than it was than with just All|Brief|Compact.

Is now the time to ask nicely for a link directly to the traffic page from
message post screens? I know you have one on the "post accepted" page, but in
order to return to the traffic page from just reading posts, I find myself
hitting my Back button a lot.

-Tom McD.
when replying, on Halloween, stay away from houses that make you "bob for
spamcake"