 Administrative / General / 1883
Re: problem with dat groups.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:19:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Stembel writes:
-Every message in the subgroups shows up.  Example:  I open .cad, and I get
messages from cad.dev, cad.dat.models, etc.  It is waaay too confusing to
try to figure out what is going on.  When I open .cad, I want nothing *but*
messages posted to .cad.

-I can't figure out what message I'm on, number wise.  When I view in
compact view (which I prefer), the directory tree(1) ends with *121 (-20).
I realize that the 121 is because cad.dat.models and cad.dat.models.sets
are joined, but the message numbers are still from their respective group,
which I find quite confusing.

OK, so you'd like a link to the part that displays just lugnet.cad, but not
lugnet.cad.* ?

Yeah, that's what I meant, and thanks for implementing it!  :)

-Canceled messages show up.

This is a feature, not a bug.

Of course, it's not true that the canceled articles actually show up; you
can't read them.  Only the empty shells/skeletons of what the article once
was show up.

It's important to include them because often they are a missing link when
you look back over an old thread.  That is, it messes up perusal of the
threads without them when someone has replied to a canceled message, and
the reply is still there with no parent article.

Maybe I should've been clearer.  They were showing up in the compact view.  I
don't remember them doing that before.

-The 3 most recent messages don't show up in compact view.  I don't need
(or want, it is just extra load time as far as I am concerned) those short
descriptions.  They just get in my way when I am trying to get to the
messages.

I'll see what I can do about including them in the first page of the compact
view.

Thanks!

-Please make the title the link.  The little square is a lot harder to
click on precisely, especially when my resolution is set really high
(necessary for what I do here at work.)

Done.

Once again, Thanks!

-Since scripts are used to access messages, can't you allow the user
to select how they want to view the groups?  (it would be stored in
cookies, or there could be an alternate series of pages)

This might be an enhanced feature later.  But note that the web interface
isn't intended to be a replacement for a real newsreader.  It'll probably
never be any better than "just good enough."

I've found that the web interface is *much* more convenient and a lot easier to
use.  If you do make that an enhanced feature at a later date, please allow us
to choose variable or fixed width fonts, as I prefer fixed width for email and
newsgroups.  :)

-The message headers are really jumbled.  I have to actively examine them
to figure out who wrote a message.

Which?

When reading a message, the title, author, etc. just seem to blur together or
something.  It is hard to explain.  I think it is probably because there is
nothing dividing them up.

-I liked the reply button at the top, 'cause its a pain to have to scroll
the screen when I want to reply to a message (messages with dat files are
even worse).

Ahh.  OK, forgot about DAT files.  Doesn't Ctrl-End work, BTW?

Didn't know about Ctrl-End.  Thanks for moving the reply button!  It took me a
minute to find it this morning, but now I know where it is.  ;)

-could you allow the user's color settings to override the defaults?
Netscape's standard blue is hard on my eyes, and I don't want to have to
keep switching the override on and off.

I assume you mean the LINK= and VLINK= attributes of the <BODY> tag?  If so,
these are now disabled and the browser defaults (typically bright blue and
dark magenta) are used instead of hard-coded link colors.

Yay!  Now the links are green!  ;)  Great shade of it, too.  :)

Jeff

Change can be good, and I like change, but sometimes things just don't work
out.  I hope you will take my critizisms into acount.  :)

Certainly.  Thanks.

--Todd