 Administrative / General / 1951
Re: problem with dat groups.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:41:42 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tom McDonald writes:
Hmm, I kept wondering what you mean, because it -is- there on the group
intro pages, but maybe you mean the direct NNTP link from the article
display page?  (Did anyone actually use those on a message by message
basis?)

Well, when my IE4 browser url field displays
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=,-20&v=c
I don't get a "open in newsreader" link on the page.

Oh.  OK, I see.  That's not an intro (=introductory) page to the group
but rather a secondary page.  But it's still one that you probably use a
lot(?) and maybe even the one you always use to enter the group(?).

Hmmm.  Is it OK if the direct-NNTP link went at the bottom of the page?
It's not something that everyone is going to want to see at the top all
the time, and it would push things downward, making it harder to fit 20
lines on an 800x600 screen for people running at that resolution.

Welp, what if it was an icon up along the top?

After I post, and click on the group I just posted to, I don't get the
"?n=,-20&v=c" view I had before. Admittedly, it's a nitpick, and it's
probably been brought up before when I wasn't paying attention. I should
probably just click my "Back" button (recommended).

Thanks, I don't think it has been brought up before (a variant of it has,
however).  The problem is that the server doesn't know that your personal
preference for a group happens to be the compact listing rather than the
intro page, so it pops you into the group's homepage.

--Todd