 Administrative / General / 1905
Re: problem with dat groups.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:06:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Stembel writes:
P.S.  When loading pages from Lugnet, it tends to "stall".  It doesn't
actually say "*K (Stalled)", it says "138 bytes loaded"(1) and just sits
there. Sometimes it will continue loading after a couple seconds (usually
right after I threaten it with reloading), but a significant portion of the
time I have to click "reload".  Have you ever encountered this probllem
before?  I'm using Netscape Communicator version 4.5, if that helps.

What kind of Internet connection are you on (what speed) and where are you
located?  Do you have a dynamic or static IP address?  I could do a
traceroute to your IP address and see what kinds of latency there is.

It always happens at work (I haven't accessed Lugnet from home in a while),
where I have a T1.  I have a Static IP address, would it help if I e-mailed it
to you?

I don't think I've seen it before, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if
it only happened once or twice.  The 138 bytes thing is very familiar,
though.  I mostly run with Netscape 4.5 too and what I see on every page is:

  Connect: Host www.lugnet.com contacted...waiting for reply...
  Transferring Data
  138 bytes read
  Document: Done

This all goes by really fast, but the 138 happens on every page.  I think
the browser is formatting the page during that time...  Or it could be a
net glitch in your case if it's saying "stalled."

1 - It always stops at 138 bytes.  Is this how big the toolbar is?  It
always stalls after loading it.

No, the toolbar at the top is more like typically about 1000 bytes.  The
page header also varies because the title changes, so the 138 can't be
content based.

Curious.

--Todd

It may happen on other sites, but I can't remember any specific instances of
it.  If I notice it happen at another site I'll tell you.

Jeff

P.S.  I kinda figured it was on my end, but I wanted to check to see if you
knew anything about it first.