 Administrative / General / 1904
Re: local subgroups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:03:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
True, but I figure you don't want other people messing with your web
server, so using some sort of templates may be a way to let other people
contribute with content.  Besides, it may be neat to have basically the
same design all over.

Yes, definitely that for on-site pages.

Or are you thinking that other people shall host the regional home
pages themselves?

We've been thinkin' simple template-based on-site pages for whatever info
people want to put on lugnet.com as part of the core information warehouse,
and off-site pages for whatever people want to do "on their own," for
example what BayLUG does with www.baylug.org -- it's becoming quite a
place, with lots of pages.  PNLTC also has gobs and gobs of pages.

In that case, maintaining a rigid template, or even a
consistent design, may prove difficult.

Exactly...  :)  But the upside of it is that with anything off-site, people
can put up whatever sorts of things they want, without being constrained to
a particular format (which, even if it was the best thing in the world,
would still lack spirit and individuality).

The new website structure, for example

    http://www.lugnet.com/loc/se/

is a first tiny step toward templates for subgroups...  It's very
easy to add new links, for example, and of course all the latest news
messages automatically appear there for the whole lugnet.loc.se.*
hierarchy.  Later the left column will turn into something more
general where arbitrary hypertext can be placed (including links) and
sub-pages can be defined for any group.

Wow, so you've already started doing this.  And I thought I had a unique
idea!  ;-)

Yeah, the idea of templates for people and groups goes way back to the
autumn of '96, although we had no idea how it might actually be
accomplished back then from a technical standpoint.  Here's some more
"insider" background if you've get some spare cycles...

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1676
   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/4.html   (old but still mostly relevant)
   http://www.lugnet.com/faq/?n=63
   http://www.lugnet.com/faq/?n=71

I like it.  Would you like to start a new thread for this, crossposted
to lugnet.admin.general and lugnet.loc.se, with a URL link back to this
node on the present thread for additional background?

What, me?  Well, sure.  Sweden was merely an example.  But there seems
to be many active LEGO-fans here from Sweden, so why not.  Many more
than in Norway, anyway.  *sniff*

(chuckle)  Was that a sniff or snort?  :-)

--Todd