 Administrative / General / 1970
Re: Local/native langauge forms of country names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:54:34 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote (after heavy snippage):

OK, one question -- what are you going to the /news/ page for?  It's not
really "part of the system" -- it's just setup information, mostly.  Hmm,
is there still something there that's not available elsewhere?

It's the page that lets you easily get to the traffic page. To me it
collects all the stuff together neatly. I remember that when last I used
it, all the pictures on the right actually took me places.

Why have this page if it's not a gateway to elsewhere? It used to be,
and I liked it.

This page:
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/ is too hard to get to)

Where do you typically (wish to) jump to it from?

Why, loc groups or the sublists of same, of course.

The English versions of the names are listed in parentheses on the group
homepages (one click in) and also appear here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/sitemap.cgi?/loc/

Just list them both side by side or something.

There isn't room, even with the small font.

OK, on top of each other then, or only use one column or something.

Additionally, although pairs such as

   Österreich (Austria)
   Deutschland (Germany)
   Ellás (Greece)
   Nippon (Japan)
   Magyarország (Hungary)
   Zhong Guo (China)
   Sverige (Sweden)

would work very well next to one another (assuming there was room), other
pairs such as

   México (Mexico)
   Perú (Peru)

are ridiculously unhelpful.  Where would you draw the line?

if it differs by one letter (and I see u as different than ú) I would
list both.

If you didn't already know the local-language name of a country or city,
how realistically would you really consider clicking on it?

Quite. Remember I travel a lot. It's pretty likely that I might be
nosing around there trying to find the South Korea loc group to post in
search of a fest, we just got contacted by a Korean company that wants
to resell our product. So I may well want to go there. How can I find it
if I need to know the local name? I am 0% likely to know that... it's
Korean Air, after all, not Taehan-Min'Guk Air.

I repeat, chauvinistically proud, english is the language of the net.
Yes it's a bastard language. Deal. The Taehan-Min'Gukians know the
english name of their country and won't have trouble finding it under
Korea.

fund lugnet: http://www.ebates.com/, mention member lar, 1/2 $$ to
lugnet.