 Administrative / General / 1868
Re: Interface changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:54:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
What things did you like more about the old way than the new way?

Well.... I liked the subject being the link, but you've already
"fixed" that.

Heh heh.  When you say "fixed" in quotes like that, is that a polite way
of saying "broke"?

I don't know, I'm very accustomed to the click on a subject line to
read the message, whether it's in a newsready, mail client, etc.

OK, now you can click on either the little square box or the subject line
on any message to read it.  So it's un-"fixed" now.  :-D

This new interface sorda looks a little like Slashdot, and the way it
breaks off articles in mid-sentence is about as maddening as Slashdot
can be sometimes.

Hmm.  You must be trying to read the article content right on that page?
It's showing you the first 250 characters of the body of the article as
a preview.  It's not actually meant to be read, but only to be scanned
quickly to see if the link to the full article is worth following.  The
previews are particularly useful in examining search results and scanning
a thread tree.  Again, they're not really meant to be read closely, and
hence the really tiny font.

Guess I'm just not use to thinking of a REAL
discussion forum looking that way.  [...]

Perhaps that's because what you're seeing at pages like

   http://www.lugnet.com/
   http://www.lugnet.com/general/
   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/
   http://www.lugnet.com/market/
   etc.

aren't discussion forums.  :)  Rather, what they are is "homepages" for
groups -- starting pages -- with links to related resources and samplings
of news content, where applicable.  So the homepages for the groups aren't
really part of the forum per se.  They're more like a window into recent
activity in the forum.

Also, maybe check out the page:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/tools/

That's an example of a category which has no associated forum/newsgroup.
It's just a virtual sub-category for link-organization purposes.  There will
be a lot more of these in various areas, as needed.

--Todd