 Administrative / General / 1855
Re: problem with dat groups.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
i have decided to switch to reading through a newsgroup, mostly because
the new interface is not as good as the old one...

Can you be more specific?  What do you not like?

--Todd

Some problems I have with the new setup:
-Every message in the subgroups shows up.  Example:  I open .cad, and I get
messages from cad.dev, cad.dat.models, etc.  It is waaay too confusing to try
to figure out what is going on.  When I open .cad, I want nothing *but*
messages posted to .cad.

-I can't figure out what message I'm on, number wise.  When I view in compact
view (which I prefer), the directory tree(1) ends with *121 (-20).  I realize
that the 121 is because cad.dat.models and cad.dat.models.sets are joined, but
the message numbers are still from their respective group, which I find quite
confusing.

-Canceled messages show up.

-The 3 most recent messages don't show up in compact view.  I don't need (or
want, it is just extra load time as far as I am concerned) those short
descriptions.  They just get in my way when I am trying to get to the messages.

-Please make the title the link.  The little square is a lot harder to click
on precisely, especially when my resolution is set really high (necessary for
what I do here at work.)

-Since scripts are used to access messages, can't you allow the user to select
how they want to view the groups?  (it would be stored in cookies, or there
could be an alternate series of pages)

-The message headers are really jumbled.  I have to actively examine them to
figure out who wrote a message.

-I liked the reply button at the top, 'cause its a pain to have to scroll the
screen when I want to reply to a message (messages with dat files are even
worse).

-could you allow the user's color settings to override the defaults?
Netscape's standard blue is hard on my eyes, and I don't want to have to keep
switching the override on and off.

Change can be good, and I like change, but sometimes things just don't work
out.  I hope you will take my critizisms into acount.  :)

Jeff

1 - This is from cad.dat.models, near the top.