 Administrative / General / 1966
1965  |  1967
Subject:
Local/native langauge forms of country names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:07:29 GMT

Ya, I like that. The traffic cube is pretty cool looking although it
doesn't evoke anything in particular. What's it supposed to look like?

Nothing in particular...just a grid of dots, some of which are active and
some of which are inactive.

Now, another nit, can I have a back navigator? Right now, when I am
here: http://www.lugnet.com/trains

I can easily click on organizations (upper left), and back on trains,
but there's no easy way to get back to here: http://lugnet.com/news/

OK, one question -- what are you going to the /news/ page for?  It's not
really "part of the system" -- it's just setup information, mostly.  Hmm,
is there still something there that's not available elsewhere?

(which by the way makes it hard to get to the loc pages, they should be
in the upper left list too..

Mmm, OK.

tried http://lugnet.com/news/loc/ and got
my hand slapped... make the move notice clickable!

That page moved on October 16, 1998 -- and the reason it's not clickable is
because it was only up at that location for a few hours -- I'm surprised you
stumbled onto that old page :)

Well, I might as well just make it auto-forward.

This page:
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/ is too hard to get to)

Where do you typically (wish to) jump to it from?

Also, on the loc pages... the international language of the web is
english.  What the heck country is Taehan-Min'Guk ??

It is South Korea.

Really!
Now I think it's swell to show the source language, but can we have an
english name too?

The English versions of the names are listed in parentheses on the group
homepages (one click in) and also appear here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/sitemap.cgi?/loc/

Just list them both side by side or something.

There isn't room, even with the small font.

Additionally, although pairs such as

   Österreich (Austria)
   Deutschland (Germany)
   Ellás (Greece)
   Nippon (Japan)
   Magyarország (Hungary)
   Zhong Guo (China)
   Sverige (Sweden)

would work very well next to one another (assuming there was room), other
pairs such as

   México (Mexico)
   Perú (Peru)

are ridiculously unhelpful.  Where would you draw the line?

   Brasil (Brazil)
   Slovenija (Slovenia)
   Danmark (Denmark)
   Nederland (Netherlands)

Do you know what I mean?  And it all really makes the English language look
like a real bastard too, for ruining all these beautiful names.

Maybe I want to go there, but how would I know.

If you didn't already know the local-language name of a country or city,
how realistically would you really consider clicking on it?  And if you
really did anyway just out of curiosity, it's only an extra click, and you
get to learn something in the process.

I wish there was room, I really do...it just didn't work out.

--Todd