 Administrative / General / 1857
1856  |  1858
Subject:
Interface changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:49:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
[...]
Colors are bad for me, but I'm colorblind, so they may be ok for
others.  All that gray is hard to differentiate.  Light gray
background, darker gray text, different gray subject bar, gray author,
etc.

Don't worry, you're not missing any information...  It actually is shades
of gray in many places.  Only a couple of the grays are off-gray, and those
are only off-gray in a very subtle way (about 5% into the red/yellow "warm"
spectrum).  With the exception of link color changes, none of the colors do
anything except a visual aid to quickly scanning the page, so even if you
didn't see any color at all and saw the whole world in monochrome, you would
be missing only a little.  The biggest use of color as a tool there is the
use of shades of red to draw attention to various things (for quick
scanning).

The compact is OK, now, but having the little blue box be the link is
kinda hard.  I know my mouse skips sometimes and it's a lot easier to
snag a link that's the entire subject rather than that tiny box.

Hmm.

[...]
I like the old way.  I think this new way will grow on me.

What things did you like more about the old way than the new way?

Having recent posts on the main page is ... interesting?  Not sure it
won't sometimes be counterproductive, but interesting.

It turns out that it's very important in the grand scheme of things.  True,
it's an unconventional thing for a site to do, perhaps even odd, but if
you're used to the old static homepage, give the new one some time, and
I guarantee that it'll grow on you.

--Todd

[Followups set to lugnet.admin.general]