 Space / 3868
Re: No promises when I'll be done, but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:49:19 GMT

In lugnet.space, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.space, Shiri Dori writes:
Ignoring for a second your rudeness to Jude,

Ignore more than that.  He's got an... interesting... history on usenet.
Appears to be doing his best to be a professional offender.  A search of
recent posts on Dejanews turns up nothing that isn't in alt.flame or
alt.hackers.malicious...  It's an enlightening trip into the underside of
the 'net, but doesn't show much in the way of intelligent conversation.

Given this bit of (rather unsurprising) information, is there any chance of
enforcing something in the ToS to make this person go away?  If not, is there
any chance of adding something to the ToS to make it easier to make people like
this go away in the future?

Even better, is there any chance of getting (starting to feel as though I'm
repeating myself here) a skip-filter based on poster's identity as well as
based on group?  As things stand, if I were getting Lugnet via SMTP or NNTP I
could simply ignore anything he wrote, but there is no current method for that
via the web interface.

Before anyone says anything to me about being a content based censor, or any
other such bullsh... uh, baloney, people who have no other desire than to break
up an online community can and do pose as real a danger to the usefulness of a
forum as spammers.  When someone's basic intent is to disrupt proceedings, they
can be very successful.  Worse, when two or three- or 20 or 30- likeminded
people get together, they can be devastating.

In real life, if this yahoo walked into a restaurant where we were all enjoying
a non-alcoholic beverage of choice, the manager would be well within his rights
to ask him to leave; if he refused, police would probably be more than happy to
enforce that (except in San Fransisco, but that's another story).  There's
little difference in the need for it here.

Given the threat of permanent banning, one of two things will happen:

1)He'll stop being a flame-festing dillhole because he actually wants to take
part in the community, or

2)He'll continue to be a flame-festing dillhole, because the only thing he
wants to do is disrupt, and he doesn't care about the community at large.

But there's only one way to find out.

eric