Re: NLDA [aka Medieval] Brikwars*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 16:20:34 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

I think either way team A will have the defensive advantage.  It is much easier
to defend a location than take it.  That said I am quite sure that the only
reason Team A got the princess in the first place is that she did something
foolish.  My feeling is that Team A is really just a bunch of blumber blowhards
with more muscle than brains.  Brainpower is what will win this match!

I was thinking about this balancing act, particularly with respect to the weighting
of available CP to account for one team having a fortified postion.  Then I
realized that I think Brikwars might be self-balancing in this regards.  Buildings
and fortifications are pretty expensive in Brikwars rules, so any team that spends
some points building a structure to defend will inherently have less points
available to purchase troops.  The stronger and more impenetrable the
fortification, the less points available for troops.  With the two teams of three
we have right now (one with 4, if Sun will play - nobody's responded to my post on
that issue yet, grrrrrrrr) - spending even 60 points on a building (not a very
impressive building could be produced for that) would give the defending team a 10%
disadvatange in what they could purchase in troops and weapons as compared to the
attacking team.

Given that, my inclination is that we probably don't need to worry about
handicapping one team or the other if one is planning on defending something, such
as a little harlot- I mean, the princess.

Thoughts?  Feedback?  Ideas?

-s