Re: NLDA [aka Medieval] Brikwars*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:40:48 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:

It's certainly different than most of the games we've had in the past-- I've
often wanted to try something where we've got more defined objectives than
simply kill kill kill... I think the only real reason we haven't done this
in the past much is simply due to the difficulty of trying to make it a
"fair fight"-- I think we had discussed it several times before...

Possibly.  Part of the problem is that we've never really planned ahead in
quite this much detail (picking sides, etc).

A good rule of thumb for wargames like this is that an army defending a
well-fortified position should get somewhere between half and two thirds the
point value of the attacking force.

That "in a well-fortified position" part is a key phrase, there- it literally
means like in a castle, or in a bunker or something.  Which it doesn't sound
like is the case here.

At a rough guess, I'd say that if one team is going to start with something in
their possession and "win" if they manage to keep it from the other team, they
should probably get roughly 3/4 the points of the attacking team.

Then again, you could do away with this scheme completely, and put the
"Kidnapped Princess" minifig in the middle of the board (literally the middle).
Say that to take control of her, you have to attack her with a close combat
attack and generate some arbitrary (moderately difficult) number.  You can't
attempt to capture her if she's currently "captured" by someone else.  A
minifig that has the Princess "captured" cannot take any actions other than
movement (at -1" or something) or to hand off the Princess to another minifig.
Whoever has the Princess at the end of the game wins.

The Princess cannot be killed, and will "cower in fear" (ie, take no actions)
if she's no currently "captured".

This adds a goal (and a more focused goal than our "datapad" rules, too), and
has the advantage of not needing the sides to be arbitrarily balanced.

Fun can also be had figuring out why the Princess is alone outside the castle,
and why each team wants her.

eric