Re: NLDA [aka Medieval] Brikwars*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:20:38 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
Of course, we could even this out fairly easily by letting the team with the
item (Team A) place their troops first. This would then give you guys the
ability to analyze weak spots and place your troops accordingly.

I'm certainly up for it... of course I'll also take that to mean that we'll
fluctuate what troops & weapons we field depending on your inital positioning.

(define 'fluctuate' here?)
This sounds like what I was hoping for. though it would seem that you
ought not to know where *all* our men are. what if each team started
with duplicate maps of the environment and some indication of important
features (placement of visible guards, exteriors of buildings, etc.,
planned their positions privately, and then positioned their troops
according to their plan. (in other words doing partial simultaneous
positioning) Is this too complicated? I'm just thinking about how the
element of surprise would actually work inside the game..

This
definitely is more objective-based than I've seen in the past, but I think
it would be fun. It would also speed up the game a bit buy not wasting time
marching a bunch of troops to the center of the field. Thoughts?

How 'bout we kidnapped your ugly, wailing princess for ransom (or some
such), and are kinda expecting you. Game starts upon your arrival, maybe
giving you the first turn, but allows us the possibility of laying traps.

It's certainly different than most of the games we've had in the past-- I've
often wanted to try something where we've got more defined objectives than
simply kill kill kill...

I'm way more excited about a game with a pre-defined situation. Feels a
lot more like a RPG and less like a simulation. Makes for a nice game
documentation too, I'd think. I'd like it even better if the game were
left set up and played through enough sessions to allow completion. (I
understand the constraints of this however)

I think the only real reason we haven't done this
in the past much is simply due to the difficulty of trying to make it a
"fair fight"--

I think we have enough time to figure something out. (?) esp with the
meeting coming up. (provided the Guinness doesn't flow too freely) :-D

I think we had discussed it several times before... I'm still
intreuged by things like a castle seige or a secret ops mission or
something. I keep being inspired by the idea Shaun had to play in Dan
Jassim's ship (or something similar)...

that would be so cool. In fact, I'd be excited just to see one of Dan's
carriers in person! His stuff blows my mind.

In a way, that's not much different than a dungeon adventure. IMHO,
something like that begins to require a neutral party to keep info
secret 'till the time is right. unless you'd want to roll for
everything, or you've smuggled plans of the whole place (cheating).
that's getting really close to a RPG. A while back I had started work on
a 'random LEGO dungeon generator' to serve the purpose of above
mentioned neutral party. gets interesting when the party isn't familiar
with the environment and someone outside the game has built the dungeon
in advance. you'd need to uncover areas as the party progressed, as if
in a hedge maze. Or build on the fly with modular components according
to what the computer revealed. (like when the DM draws your map).

Have one team the ship's posesser,
and have the other team trying to board, or tyring to recover secret
documents and escape undetected (or at least alive).

"Many have died to bring us this information." (or however it goes..)

-Suz