Re: NLDA [aka Medieval] Brikwars*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:21:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Richard Noeckel writes:
Just a few questions:

[just to repeat Jorge...]

How many factions are involved in each battle?
(It sounds like there at least three sides with two people per side)

We've done between 2 and 4 teams, and between 5? and 8 people.

How many troops per side?

Here's where time gets to be the issue. As Jorge said, we've got (for the
present game) between 200 and 300 points per participant, which boils down
to probably 20-30 soldiers per person, give or take some extras. Sure, that
may sound like a little bit, but when you have to move and attack with
dozens of figs every turn, keep track of which ones have moved, which ones
have what stats, etc, it can take a while.  That's one of the reasons we
more typically do 2 teams-- people on the same team can move, etc, at the
same time and speed up the round.  Actually, I don't think we've ever done
more than like 6 rounds? Maybe only 5, I dunno. 25 per person would mean an
8 person game consists of 200 soldiers total on the board, just to give you
an idea...

Where in New England are you?

Near Boston, though we've had one game just across the border in NH.

Mayhap I may visit you this summer… If I bring just 500 Castle minifigs,
would it be too much?

Yes. I've got a roughly 2500 point army already assembled (intended to aid
those with not enough points, and to give myself a nice selection)
consisting of about 275 figs and various other weapons-- and I can only
field a very small amount of them. My avg. fig came out to like 8 or 9 pts
per. So figure 500 figs would turn into roughly 4,000 points, not to mention
any additional weaponry you decide to bring. A little much for a 250 pt game :)

Personally, I made troopers with all the "popular" weapon types out there
(nobody armed with bolos or torches or whatever), and made squads of 12--
about 2 or 3 for each weapon type. Then I gave some (most) squads attribute
bonuses & extras (shields, extra speed, skill, armor, etc) just to make them
a little more unique. If you're making a long haul you may wish to do
something similar so you can be "assured" that you can modify what you field
according to what you see-- nothing like winding up with a bunch of spearmen
when your enemy fields only archers :) Or of course you can try as best as
you can to round out strengths and weaknesses-- it certainly makes for
faster gameplay when you know ahead of time what you'll be doing!

DaveE