Subject:
NLDA [aka Medieval] Brikwars*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:49:05 GMT

* NLDA, acronym for Non-Lego Dark Ages, n.   def.: any or all dark ages
distinguishable (historically, chronologically, or materially)  from
Lego Dark Ages.

Hark Hark Hark,

We, as Americans, were denied the opportunity to participate in 400
years of ignorance, bloodshed, and inequitable feudalism, commonly
referred to as "The Non-Lego Dark Ages" (though historians tend to agree
that during that time, darkness generally only prevailed from sundown to
sunup).  I, for one, feel cheated.

So we, in a concerted effort to rewrite history, are staging our own
medieval strife, to be carried out on June the 30th, 2001 (for you
monks: VI/XXX/MMI ).

Details:

WHAT: Medieval (TL2) Brikwars
WHEN: June 30th, convening at around 9:30 a.m.
WHERE:  The glorious abode of Jorge, who will hopefully provide
directions
WHY: to purge society's ills from our blood with simulated battle, to
partake in a time period during which the involvement of the United
States was particularly apathetic, and to resolve all differences in a
gory and definitive matter (of particular note: one issue at stake, to
be decided during this event, will be who Mike Rayhawk, esteemed author
of Brikwars, would prefer to communicate with, myself or Suz - to the
winner goes Mike's undying adulation ... I think)

Other Appropriate Details:

-CP limitation ... still up for discussion, but we're thinking 200 or
300 points per person.  On the one hand, this may not sound like much,
but on the other, things in the old days are a lot cheaper ;)  Feel free
to prepare and bring more, though ...  eep in mind, with at least 8
people showing up (current estimate), that makes for some pretty large
sides
-No SP points - that is to say, no magic, psionics, etc
-I'm also tending to shy away from monsters/creatures (Dragons, giants,
etc) and the like, and keep it somewhat historically grounded, at least
in content ... of course, this is open to discussion, but the original
conception was to have it be somewhat reflective of what might actually
have been around ...
-Pre-Gunpowder !!  (yes, even for imported ninjas/samurais ;)
-Beginners/First-Timers welcome!  We'll be dividing the participants
into two teams, so noone will ever need to feel unqualified!  For
anybody interested, there was a tongue-in-cheek Brikwars FAQ posted by
some literally prodigy to the NELUG newsgroup a couple months ago ...
ahhh, here it is:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=1272
Keep in mind, this referred specifically to another game, so dates,
names, and locations are purely coincidental.  However, most of the
material can be easily translated to this upcoming game ...
-People without any Castle Stuff are also welcome! - there will be
plenty of extras - Dave Eaton and myself (as well as some others, I
believe) both have rather large armies, and are willing to outfit
anybody who would like to participate but doesn't have the appropriate
troops
-Please try to have all of your scoring/point totals accumulated before
game day - that tends to allow for more playing time and less
last-minute confusion!  Anybody needing help, pelase feel free to e-mail
myself (and maybe Eric J. or Dave Eaton, if they are willing to tackle
any of them)
-Please please please try to bring any period apprpriate scenery you can
muster!  Partof the appeal of these games is that they offer a chance to
pool constructinos together and come up with some truly stellar
presentations; note the last two Brikwars games, for example - we had a
huge Main Street layout in one, and a large medieval fantasy battlefield
in the other.  Very impressive, and they make the game all that much
more enjoyable!
-Finally, there's one other point that might be worth discussing; if
people would like to, we can try and divvy the participants up into
teams ahead of time (and then any last-minute arrivals can be
distributed in some fair fashion).  The advantages of this are
multipfold:

(a) people can try and strategize a bit - one person might spend a good
chuck of their points on catapults and siege towers if they can be
assured that someone else on their team will make sure to provide some
extra troops.  When each person is planning individually, people try to
cover all the bases (proverbial), and are hesitant to devote points to a
large-ish endeavor.

(b) Rivalries can be formed, goadings can be nurtured, and taunting can
be administered liberally in the days and weeks leading up to the event

We've never tried running a game where the sides are picked beforehand
(or at least, those who can commit are split up), but we've talked about
it.  How do people feel about this?  Personally, I'm in favor of giving
it a try!

Lastly, There has been some talk of a meeting in the week or two prior
to the event, during which people could bring their constructions and
have help scoring them before the big day.  Keep your eyes on this
newsgroup for further information!

Gad, I ramble,
-s

As a tasty aside: extensive research has indicated that any so-called
"pheasant uprisings" during the dark ages were hardly uprisings at all.
Most pheasants with a penchant for public disturbance were quickly
caught, roasted, and serbved with Quail or Duck.

Re: NLDA [aka Medieval] Brikwars*