 Dear LEGO / 4786
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 16:49:29 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Have it with Darth Vader’s helmet. Its a tough one. I’ve only seen it in one non-LEGO design.

I’m not sure it’s the one you’re talking about, but I’ve seen your mini-Vader walker (I’d love to see instructions for that, BTW), and I’ve also built one MOC that uses it (DTotS was just a one-time modification of a pre-existing MOC):

I also have an idea for making a vehicle with it someday. Someday...

David,

I was referring to this:

It walks using a little red micromotor.

Anyways, I agree with Orion to the extent that a lot of people casually dismiss pieces as “useless” for no reason other than that they fall outside of their realm of experience, but I don’t agree that it’s purely a matter of limited imagination. The large Throwbot visors are pretty much useless without a Throwbot head to be attached to, since they’re too flat to attach to a TECHNIC fig helmet. On the flip side of that, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an RCX being used for purely structural purposes instead of as an electronic control system. There are parts that are very generic and there are parts that are very specialized. The generic parts are the ones that get used in the vast majority of MOCs by the vast majority of builders. The more specialized a part is, the less often it will be used...but the more rewarding it will be when you figure out a new use for it. The important thing is that you don’t casually disregard a new piece as useless without putting serious thought into possible uses for it. And picking it up with the sole intent of proving that you can’t think of any uses for it is cheating. Don’t view it as a waste of plastic. View it as a challenge.

I was not disagreeing with Orion very hard. There is a scale of reusability, and some parts have a very low reusability score. Orion’s point is that there are no parts that are 0, and I agree. I was primarily just whining about the low resuability score of Darth Vader’s helmet. In both our cases, we used the helmet to make a take off on Darth Vader. These two examples do nothing for increasing the helmet’s reusability score from zero.

Now if someone used them for boxing gloves, that would increase the score IMHO.

Kevin