 Dear LEGO / 4718
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 23:10:02 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mark Wilson wrote:

   It’s almost as if they are no longer trying to sell Lego sets that you are supposed to take apart and build other things with. It seems like they’re now trying to sell static playsets that just happen to require assembly and come apart easy.

Lego should be about making pieces that can be used in a vast number of ways to build anything you can imagine. The poorly designed and one-use parts they make lately are hurting set designs, costs, and replay value.

There needs to be more simplicity and elegance to this stuff. Air blazers was an incredible design from just last year, so they obviously still have what it takes to make cool stuff. Now they just need to make it affordable and slow down on the production of strange un-needed parts.

TLC says they want to get back to their core values. Well, I’m waiting.

You hit the nail on the head. I could not agree with you more. I hope that some one from TLC reads this. It could make them great again. Mark Wilson

Thanks, I’m glad you appreciate my comments. I hope somebody from TLC will read them as well. Unfortunately, I intended to post this off of the first post in this thread so it would get good exposure and I guess I wasn’t paying attention.

Anyway, I want to expand a bit on what I was saying.

We don’t need new parts right now. Lego should pick a year, 2005 would be ideal, and work with the restriction that all new sets that year have to use existing parts.

Lego Direct works under those restrictions already, and, between the Legends, Sculptures, MOCs, and UCS, they are producing some of the best sets each year. Further proof that we don’t need new molds. Finding as many uses as possible for an existing piece is far more creative than saying, “Hey, we need an onion dome and a big yeti, go make some new molds!”

We need models that look good, are priced competitively, and have lots of useful pieces to encourage creative building.

Those are your core values, LEGO. That is why we fell in love with these toys as children and are still here today.

Bring us back to the old days!