 Dear LEGO / 4760
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 20:54:02 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Are you in a completely different universe than the rest of the world?  Have you
seen the top ten new toy categories for boys, or followed sales at both the
retail and customer levels??  Joe and Transformers command far more brand and
buying power than LEGO, heck, they even moved into territory "owned" by LEGO.
Heard of BTR.  Man, Hasbro is eating miles per minute with sales of those, not
to mention how TMNT is reaping rewards for a until-relaunch Playmates toys is
commanding cash.  Ban-Dai is still pounding out an annual supply of Power
Rangers for the hungry 5 year old masses, and going strong.  Nobody indeed.
FYI, Hasbro recently released stock information, saying that most of their
increased profit in the toy world for 2003 was due to the Transformers line
which grew from already giant sized portions another 75% upward.

What would be interesting to know is how well the Mega Blocks Turtles and
Power Rangers lines are doing...

Depends where you look.  In Western PA, sales appear to be steady, but not
overwhelming.  I understand that the Power Rangers and other Bandai licenses not
yet available in North America are selling quite well in Asia.

But Aaron is a little off-base with BTR.  Although I'm greatly impressed with
the brand, I'm bummed out that it appears destined for abandonment.  I discussed
the brand (in my usual, concise fashion) here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=2164
I would be surprised if Hasbro supports the brand much longer.

Dave!