 Dear LEGO / 4725
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 02:23:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Rocco J. Carello wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Mark Wilson wrote:

   It’s almost as if they are no longer trying to sell Lego sets that you are supposed to take apart and build other things with. It seems like they’re now trying to sell static playsets that just happen to require assembly and come apart easy.

Lego should be about making pieces that can be used in a vast number of ways to build anything you can imagine. The poorly designed and one-use parts they make lately are hurting set designs, costs, and replay value.

There needs to be more simplicity and elegance to this stuff. Air blazers was an incredible design from just last year, so they obviously still have what it takes to make cool stuff. Now they just need to make it affordable and slow down on the production of strange un-needed parts.

TLC says they want to get back to their core values. Well, I’m waiting.

You hit the nail on the head. I could not agree with you more. I hope that some one from TLC reads this. It could make them great again. Mark Wilson

Thanks, I’m glad you appreciate my comments. I hope somebody from TLC will read them as well. Unfortunately, I intended to post this off of the first post in this thread so it would get good exposure and I guess I wasn’t paying attention.

Anyway, I want to expand a bit on what I was saying.

We don’t need new parts right now. Lego should pick a year, 2005 would be ideal, and work with the restriction that all new sets that year have to use existing parts.

That really resounds with me. When an MOC or a design hailed by many as a work of art, it is not because of the extensive re-working or introduction of a new part. What is important is what you do with what you have, LEGO should be following this principle too.

If a new part is introduced, it needs to address a construction quality/integrity problem. When I returned to LEGO product as a customer in 1992, I noticed a few new parts that introduced great solutions that complemented my pre 1985 product. They did not make shortcuts or faster construction, just more solid and realistic construction from basic bricks.

The way new parts seem to be introduced in the last ten plus years seems to ask the question, “How can we get the builder to the finished product faster with fewer steps and bricks, and make it look more like something NOT made of LEGO elements?” How crazy is that?!

The success of LEGO Bulk element sales, to me anyhow, illustrates the point that LEGO sets cost too much to get the kind and quantity of parts BUILDERs want. Some have even been tempted to the dark side, Mega Blocks, because sets are available with real parts at low prices.

The only exception to non-standard parts not as usable in multiple constructions that I am happy with are mini-figures (due to articulation issues) and the parts and tools that clothe/accessorize them.

Certain mini-figure scale animals would be fine to mass mold, as they have been with horses and cats for years. But the mentioned monsters from the Orient Expedition Adventurers line, the Rock Raiders rock monster, or even the good-old Dragon mold do not really need a dedicated mold. It’s a waste of expense for LEGO, and relatively useless for most other projects.

Pre-fab construction walls or bits are unnecessary as all get out. Basic bricks, plates, tiles and rounds really do a lot to inspire creations and are cheap to keep producing. Sadly, Mega Blocks understands the desire to have these in many construction and play sets. LEGO is going the route of Playmobil, and Playmobil has nearly worked themselves out of the consumer market with expense and over specialization. Can LEGO be far behind?

How many of us that have “Too Much Brick”, otherwise known as AFOLs, planned life out so that it would include LEGO product beyond childhood? None, for certain. we stuck to it because we like the formula and basic construction ability with available parts.

A new part every now and again can be fun and it can fuel creativity to find a use for it. Constant reworking and addition of new parts will serve only to make it more difficult to find quantity and quality basic building elements. Every year, every set, there seems to be a new part or color to get Wal Mart type stores to see that it’s not the same product as last year. But is it really that important and integral to getting it on the shelf??

What would be truly interesting would be to count up the number of elements introduced within a production period and the profit generated by sales in that period.

LEGO, people have been online for years now. You’ve seen what we build. You’ve seen what we like and what we want. Act.