 Dear LEGO / 4728
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 03:11:24 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Anthony Sava wrote:
Please, learn from the past LEGO.  A they say, those who fail to learn from the
past are doomed to repeat it.  I'd rather not repeat parts of the last ten
years.

--Anthony
Lugnet Member #1312
http://www.ikros.net

Some random thoughts on this...

I'm definitely not saying that Lego has made wise descisions lately.  However,
maybe what we're seeing is based on simple economics.

Most of the problems I see with sets these days has to do with too few parts,
which cause lame designs, etc, etc.  But this all goes back to TLG trying to cut
costs on sets.

I've realized that the sets I'd *really* like to see simply couldn't be sold at
the roughly 10 cent/piece price point most retail sets seem to be at.  A good
castle set would be, what, like 200 or 300 bucks??  I remember 'Main Street' set
sold for $54 in 1984, how much more would that be today with inflation?

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe the incredibly deflated prices of
Chinese-made products is making it hard for TLG to continue making their
high-quality product at what everyone *thinks* is a fair price.

IMHO, they're one of the few companies that still makes quality toys and doesn't
use the veritable slave-labor such as Wal-Mart, Hasbro, etc. does in
manufacturing.  If they keep up their high product and human standards, I'll pay
whatever they charge when I have kids.

(Note, this isn't a knock against Chinese, my own wife is Asian.  But I hate the
PRC government, and it disgusts me that so many Western businesses are willing
to deal with them just to make a buck.)

Anyways, I'm definitely not trying to be a TLG fan-boy or anything, but I just
wanted to put my thoughts in regarding this.

  Take care,

  Gary