 Dear LEGO / 4709
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 17:55:13 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Anthony Sava wrote:

lots of good points and rambling snipped

   LEGO bricks from 30 years ago match perfectly with the color of bricks from a year ago, I know it, I own 30 year old bricks, I own Classic Space and Classic Town sets.

I agree with most of your post, but I must take issue with this. I’m 40, and I got my first LEGO as a gift in 1969 or 1970 (that’s the only one I still have the box for, too). I own bricks from the late 60’s to now, and I can pick out my “old” bricks just by looking at them (and the stud logo confirms it). They’re all yellowed. The old blue and white ones are the most noticeable. I also have a non-quantifiable feeling that the ABS the old bricks were made from is harder than the stuff made in the late 90s and now (they’re NOT the “samsonite” Lego, either).

So, IMO, the quality of the brick has NOT been steadfast, but it’s always been better than anything else. My main problem with the color change at this point is LEGO’s attitude - they can make parts in the old colors (hence the request for list of parts we feel are “necessary”), but they don’t want to.

James Wilson
Dallas, TX
Lugnet Member # 1783