 Dear LEGO / 4762
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 16:00:47 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, David Eaton wrote:
Compare Playmobil. A playmobil character is fantastically generic, much in the
same way that a minifig from the 80's was. A playmobil policeman could be the
brainy one, the macho one, an evil one, a dumb one, whatever. He's whatever a
child can imagine. But "Crunch" will always be "Crunch". So a child can pick up
a playmobil set, and imagine whatever s/he wants. But a modern Lego set is
telling the child from the get-go exactly what this toy should be.

I mostly agree with your post, but you omit to mention that Crunch isn't always
gonna be crunch...  It can be a pair of legs for another Minifig, a torso with
different arms for a spec. ops. cop in your city, a head for a thief in your
castle (actually, I think crunch wouldn't do very well as a castle head, but you
get the point).

At first, I wasn't happy with the "new" (back in the days) heads.  Up to this
point, there were 2-3 male heads and you took smily and put girl hair on him if
you wanted a female minifig.  I was happy with that.  But now, I wouldn't want
only generic minifigs faces.  I love al those "new" faces, those different
personnalities that are obvious at first glance.

As long as they keep them yellow...

I say that LEGO as gone wrong somewhere.  True, Designer sets are awesome, one
of the best series in years.  But for the rest...