 Dear LEGO / 4712
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 19:06:39 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Anthony Sava wrote: Anthony,

Coming from another industry driven by fan interest and marketing to children (video games), I can agree with a lot of what you say. TLC has made some very, very bad choices over the past couple of decades. It makes me wonder where they get the kids that they include in their focus groups.

As far as the quality of set designs, I’m not sure I agree that the peak of TLC design quality was when you say it was, but I do see a much higher quality of models built outside TLC (mostly by AFsOL) than inside (Legoland work is a bright exception).

Someone else (Brian Davis) in a reply cautioned you to understand that many factors affect a company’s stock price - I guess he forgot TLC is not a publicly traded company.

I think that Al Broussard made an exceptionally important point - price point is very likely a key to TLCs problems with their core product lines, and if they don’t solve this issue as their competitors raise their quality bars (without raising their prices) then they will cease to exist.

Personally, I like to see and build the occasional cool set but I’m FAR more interested in what I can build.

.Steve Coallier “Attack life, it’s going to kill you anyway!”