 Dear LEGO / 4719
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 23:10:32 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Rocco J. Carello wrote:

I believe moving the price down a bit more would be wise. Unfortunately, the prices in 2004 seem to be higher than they were last year so I guess that idea went out the window. TLC needs to reduce costs, but they keep doing something they repeatedly tell us is an expensive process. Making new molds!

It’s okay to make new molds. People are usually excited whenever there is a new minifig accessory or some other part that aids in building. However, there seem to be too many one-use parts lately. The dewback. The yeti. The tiger thing. Then there is this upcoming castle line with 5 new visors, a new sword, and a new helmet. I’m sorry, but that just seems a bit excessive, especially since the visors and sword are all pretty stupid looking.

Scorpion palace comes with a big onion dome top. Another large one-use part. Then they even ruin it by making it so you can’t build a complete dome with two of them. Did they even think of this for more than a couple minutes?

This has been a complaint of AFOL’s since before Lugnet. Unfortunately, new parts (new molds) is part of Lego’s strategy. They can patent new parts and copyright new sets (instructions) so that the competition can’t copy them.

Besides, every time I see a “one use part” that I think can’t possibly be used in any other way, someone online finds a way to incorporate it into their own creation. I saw a design in the Lugnet Space newsgroup not long ago that used lots of the old, brown, boat hull pieces. That ship looked way cool.

   It’s almost as if they are no longer trying to sell Lego sets that you are supposed to take apart and build other things with. It seems like they’re now trying to sell static playsets that just happen to require assembly and come apart easy.

That’s what some customers want. A friend of mine used to build his sets according to the instructions and then never take them apart again. Weird, but there are customers that do that.

   Lego should be about making pieces that can be used in a vast number of ways to build anything you can imagine. The poorly designed and one-use parts they make lately are hurting set designs, costs, and replay value.

To a certain extent, I agree. Too many single use parts just drives up production costs and you end up paying too much per piece. The buckets are so cheap because they largely use existing pieces, not new ones.

   There needs to be more simplicity and elegance to this stuff. Air blazers was an incredible design from just last year, so they obviously still have what it takes to make cool stuff. Now they just need to make it affordable and slow down on the production of strange un-needed parts.

TLC says they want to get back to their core values. Well, I’m waiting.

I agree, to a point. The point where I diverge is the point where Lego has to make sets that appeal to today’s kids. As I said earlier, I’m 35 and my kids (make me) buy lots of toys I hate, but the toy companies still get my money.

Jeff