 Dear LEGO / 4723
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 01:24:06 GMT

   This has been a complaint of AFOL’s since before Lugnet. Unfortunately, new parts (new molds) is part of Lego’s strategy. They can patent new parts and copyright new sets (instructions) so that the competition can’t copy them.

Well, they can patent an infinite number of new sets and instructions with the existing parts.

Regarding new parts, they seem to be making as many new molds as possible lately because they don’t want to leave any possible shapes available for Megablocks to start making. Unfortunately for us, this raises price. Unfortunately for TLC, I think Megabloks is doing so well because of the price, not because Megabloks has a part that Lego doesn’t.

TLC is attacking on the wrong front. This is going to put them six feet under.

   Besides, every time I see a “one use part” that I think can’t possibly be used in any other way, someone online finds a way to incorporate it into their own creation. I saw a design in the Lugnet Space newsgroup not long ago that used lots of the old, brown, boat hull pieces. That ship looked way cool.

Two things about that. First, I am continually amazed by the ways people think of to use some parts as well. It’s one of the reasons I never get tired of brickshelf. However, regarding boat hull pieces, even if nobody found another use for them, there have been lots of sets that used boat hull pieces so at least TLC got their money’s worth out of the mold.

   That’s what some customers want. A friend of mine used to build his sets according to the instructions and then never take them apart again. Weird, but there are customers that do that.

Yes, and I understand that large pre-molded parts make those models easier to build and maybe look a little better for people who want to do that. However, do they have to please one crowd by punishing the other?

   Now they just need to make it affordable and slow down on the production of strange un-needed parts.

I agree, to a point. The point where I diverge is the point where Lego has to make sets that appeal to today’s kids. As I said earlier, I’m 35 and my kids (make me) buy lots of toys I hate, but the toy companies still get my money.

Well, I must admit that I truly wouldn’t have any notion of what things kids think are “cool” today. I don’t have any children of my own, so you probably know better than me here.

However, I have to ask - what happened? We had more than a decade where kids were happy with town, castle, and space Lego sets in yellow boxes. Did these sets start to lose popularity so TLC had to adapt to stay trendy, or did they start to lose popularity because TLC was trying to be trendy?