 Dear LEGO / 4721
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 19:11:38 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Al Broussard wrote:
Lego also needs to work on their prices, a $20.00 Megablock set in lego
quality would cost around $50.00.

The most important word there is "quality".  TLC uses ABS, while MB uses
polystyrene.  ABS is styrene with a couple of additives that make it a lot
stronger, but also more expensive.  The higher cost of the sets is partly due to
the higher cost of the raw materials, and without cheaping out the materials,
there's not really anything that can be done to offset that cost.

MAybe Lego knows we are hooked on their product, therefore they may keep the
prices up.

They lost money last year.  If the prices were lower, they might lose even more
money.  One of my all-time favorite dumb corporate quotes is, "We lose a penny
on every unit we sell, but we'll make it up in volume."