 Dear LEGO / 4752
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 20:05:24 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Brian Davis wrote:
   Steven Coallier wrote:

   Someone else (Brian Davis) in a reply cautioned you to understand that many factors affect a company’s stock price - I guess he forgot TLC is not a publicly traded company.

Hmm... Clearly, since two people have brought up the point, I worded it poorly. I never said (nor did I mean to imply, which I think was the problem) Lego had publicly-traded stock. My point was that long-term performance tends to be one way (often but not always a good way) to judge how well a company is run. Lego has done rather well in this regard, quite opposite what the original poster seemed to be implying. If there is someone here who has successfully run a toy (or any other) company for more than a couple of decades, I would regard their opinion of marketing practices rather highly. I’ve not seen such an analysis yet, either from qualified members of the AFOL community or the Lego group, so I’ll have to withhold judgement on the wisdom of such marketing practices.

Got it, Brian. My company (Electronic Arts) has been in business for over two decades with only a single unprofitable quarter, and has what is considered one of the most successful marketing organizations in children’s entertainment (toys/videogames/videos). I’m not in our marketing organization, but I do know how it works and why it is successful.

TLC, on the other hand, has had some very bad years, and as Anthony pointed out have made a double handful of marketing decisions that were demonstrable flops and less than a single handful of marketing decisions that were demonstrable successes.

.Steve Coallier “Attack life, it’s going to kill you anyway!”