 Dear LEGO / 4716
Re: The Bar Does Not Go Down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 20:54:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I sometimes to wonder if Lego’s designers are all incompetent, but I often convinced that they are not.

Sets like Red Baron’s Plane, Sopwith Camel, and many other shop at home exclusives, show that there are some designers working for TLC that can build great models.

However, the great sets seem to be few and far between these days. The HP line, with it’s open designs, was disappointing to many people. However, it sold out very fast when it was first released. Unfortunately, it seems as if the market got sick of it. Harry Potter CoS sets that came out the following year seemed to linger on store shelves longer and wind up on clearance much faster.

StarWars has some great set designs in a lot of places. It even had some very successful ideas such as the Mini Line. However, TLC decided to release new minis each year, with each new line costing more than the previous one. With the second set of minis being 50% off on S@H, I would have to assume that the market is sick of them by now.

Orient Expedition was pretty decent in a lot of ways, but those sets just hung out on store shelves and sold poorly.

Why is everything doing so poorly?

I think price is the main reason. Minis for $4 are great, especially with 2 small models per package. Minis for $7 are a bit too much. Minis for $8 are ridiculous. I won’t touch them.

Lego frequently sells tubs and buckets for about 2 cents per part. A typical lego set generally charges 9-12 cents per part. Why the huge gap? I understand that you are paying for the efforts to design the sets, but 5 times the price? Besides that, in a typical minifig scale set, most of the parts are significantly smaller than the average bricks you get in a bucket or tub.

The Creator/Designer sets really shed some light on this. With a creator set, like the big Helicopter one, you are getting an incredibly well designed set, with instructions for two more models and ideas for several beyond that. In addition, you are getting the parts for about 7 cents each. All of the Designer sets I’ve seen have been priced much worse than a plain tub of bricks, but noticeably better than most minifig scale sets.

I believe moving the price down a bit more would be wise. Unfortunately, the prices in 2004 seem to be higher than they were last year so I guess that idea went out the window. TLC needs to reduce costs, but they keep doing something they repeatedly tell us is an expensive process. Making new molds!

It’s okay to make new molds. People are usually excited whenever there is a new minifig accessory or some other part that aids in building. However, there seem to be too many one-use parts lately. The dewback. The yeti. The tiger thing. Then there is this upcoming castle line with 5 new visors, a new sword, and a new helmet. I’m sorry, but that just seems a bit excessive, especially since the visors and sword are all pretty stupid looking.

Scorpion palace comes with a big onion dome top. Another large one-use part. Then they even ruin it by making it so you can’t build a complete dome with two of them. Did they even think of this for more than a couple minutes?

It’s almost as if they are no longer trying to sell Lego sets that you are supposed to take apart and build other things with. It seems like they’re now trying to sell static playsets that just happen to require assembly and come apart easy.

Lego should be about making pieces that can be used in a vast number of ways to build anything you can imagine. The poorly designed and one-use parts they make lately are hurting set designs, costs, and replay value.

There needs to be more simplicity and elegance to this stuff. Air blazers was an incredible design from just last year, so they obviously still have what it takes to make cool stuff. Now they just need to make it affordable and slow down on the production of strange un-needed parts.

TLC says they want to get back to their core values. Well, I’m waiting.