 CAD / Development / 10801
Re: LPub 4 Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:26:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
   Err, I rushed it and sorta botched the build. So a few files got built with no PPC code. I rebuilt it, but didn’t get a chance to borrow an older machine to test it on yet.

Actually, I don’t have a PPC Mac, just the previous OS version.

That’s interesting. I built it on a new laptop with the version of XCode that comes with leopard. However I just added the arch targets to the old makefile (but missed one of the libraries). So I guess the default is to target leopard only. I suppose I should try to build from an XCode project and see if it’s easier to target older OS versions and CPUs with that.

   I believe that if you don’t get everything right for the “universal” stuff, it will give you an error at link time. I know that’s what it does to me if any of the libraries aren’t universal and I try to do a universal build.

It let me link in an X86 only lib without an error. Maybe there was a warning, I didn’t pay too much attention. I can imagine reasons why you *might* want a special lib that’s only called from the X86 code.

   Hey, maybe (probably) you know this. What’s involved in supporting a G3, or say OS 10.3? I don’t know my way around the compiler switches well enough yet to turn off altivec or use the older libraries.

No idea. I know how to set up the OS setting in XCode, but I don’t know off-hand even how to do that in a Makefile.

I found some documentation, but I printed it and don’t have it on hand right now. It sure looks easier to do from the XCode gui though.

So what’s the oldest, junkiest Mac that’s known to run the LDView executable?

Don