 CAD / Development / 10610
  LPub DPI control?

Hello, In LPub, is it possible to specify the physical resolution for generated images? Not the pixel width & height, but the physical document width & height in inches, and the resolution in pixels/inches. Of course, this affects only printed (...) (17 years ago, 3-Jun-07, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub DPI control?

(...) Sorry. No not yet. Kevin (17 years ago, 12-Jun-07, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub DPI control?

(...) Hi Remi, I'm working on DPM and DPI now. Here is what I plan on doing: You set the page size in either inches or centimeters. You define the resolution in terms of DPI or DPM. You control the magnification. For example, if I have a 1 inch page (...) (16 years ago, 4-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub DPI control?

(...) Most of this feature is done. I had to identify every LPub meta-command that had something with the units of pixels, and treat them as a new class of "units", meaning known absolute distances (i.e. meters or inches.) Every time these values (...) (16 years ago, 5-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub DPI control?

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote: SNIP (...) Maybe the following link does help you a little bit: (URL) you use truetype fonts it should not be a problem to print them in the correct size. cu mikeheide (16 years ago, 5-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub DPI control?

(...) I just found the following in my VB description: 1440 Twips = 1 inch 1 Twips = 1/20 point (DTP) 1 cm = 567 Twips 1 point = 0,3515 cm (72 dpi) maybe this is also useful. cu mikeheide (16 years ago, 5-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub DPI control?

(...) I learnt a fair bit fiddling with (URL) Freetype> in (URL) txt2dat>, which has to translate point size to ldraw units. Freetype makes it pretty easy, as it gives you a nice API that works for lots of scalable fonts. I chose not to support (...) (16 years ago, 6-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub DPI control?

(...) Hi Rosco, I'm going to make my font dialog, and default font picker only work with scalable fonts. They are perfect for this kind of situation. I guess that is why they were created by Adobe a long time ago (I read the Wiki!) Thanks, Kevin (16 years ago, 6-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  LPub 4 Status

I've got the math and implementation of resolution (dots per inch/meter/millimeter) as well as magnification for controlling model size relative to the page all worked out. Magnification 1.0 means a model that appears 8 inches wide will just fit in (...) (16 years ago, 6-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev) !

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) SNIP (...) Only one question is left! When can we get that? cu mikeheide (16 years ago, 6-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Shouldn't that be: 0 !LPUB RESOLUTION <value> (DPI|DPCM) Based on this: (...) --Travis (16 years ago, 6-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) When I looked around on the net I saw references to DPM and DPMM.... I didn't see DPCM.... it does make complete sense to use DPCM, but I wasn't sure people would think its a standard name. Kevin (16 years ago, 6-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I'd say that DPM or DPMM make perfect sense. The thing is, your description said that units are all in CM or IN, and that M and MM aren't supported. And yet, you force the user to specify which units to use in either IN, M, or MM. That seems (...) (16 years ago, 6-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I'm actually can provide all of the above and to the math, I just don't want to have units expressed in individual meta commands. I ony want one unit and to have it expressed in the resolution meta command. So I could even have DPDM..... (...) (16 years ago, 7-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I agree. It was inconsistent. I've provided DPM, DPCM, DPMM, and the values specified in meta commands are scaled appropriately. (16 years ago, 7-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I agree. It was inconsistent. I've provided DPM, DPCM, DPMM, and the values specified in meta commands are scaled appropriately. (16 years ago, 7-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) DPCM might be enough: Photoshop (which can be considered as a reference...) only has DPI and DPCM. Philo (16 years ago, 9-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Thanks Philo! I've limited to dots per inch inch and dots per centimeter. This is nice from a formatting pespective because margins and sizes fall into smaller ranges than with inches and meters. Kevin (16 years ago, 10-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

Hi folks, For those interested, I thought I'd give you a peek at LPub 4.0's GUI. I started with and LPub free file well, except for PLI sub kind of metas. I converted the submodels to callouts, placed the callouts, added pointers to the calloutss, (...) (16 years ago, 12-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev) !

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) It looks like this project is coming along nicely! Great work. Jim (16 years ago, 13-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Thanks Jim! I've spent weeks of vacation time working on this. Good thing I have a lot more. Kevin (16 years ago, 13-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) custom folders, background images ... furthermore are those arrows coming from MLCad or has 4.0 its own generator? w. (16 years ago, 22-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hi Willy, Thanks! Background images are already in as is ldconfig.ldr. The arrows come from your generator in MLCad. When you say unofficials and custom folders, what are you thinking? Since it uses ldglite, there are some rederer features I (...) (16 years ago, 22-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote: Hi Kevin, (...) I was refering to the use of unofficial and custom parts and the possibilities to include them into BI without the need to store them in the <LDRAWDIR>Parts folder or include them in (...) (16 years ago, 23-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) You are more knowledgable on this topic than I am. As far as the assembly images go, at least for now I'm at the mercy of LDGlite. I've made good use of the superb document and specifications on LDraw.org. I want to thank all involved in (...) (16 years ago, 23-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I think those and other development tools are available as an optional install from your system DVD, if they're not already present on the machine. Jim (16 years ago, 23-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) LDView and MLCad shows a way for solving this issue. In the MLCad.ini you can define alternate search path for parts, so you do not have to mix official and unofficial parts. Also LDView has the possibility to search in different directories. (...) (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) The LSC voted on that, and officially declined to specify an official location for unofficial parts. (...) You have to install the dev tools from the OS CD (DVD?) that came with your Mac. They aren't installed by default (which is probably a (...) (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Additionally, LDView is hard-coded to look in the <LDrawDir>/Unofficial/Parts and <LDrawDir>/Unofficial/p directories when it doesn't find a part in its search path. It then attempts to download unofficial parts from the part tracker into that (...) (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hi Travis, Thanks for the help. I have a .pro from Orion. I have to update it, because the list of files has changed, but that should be straight forward. Thank you very much, Kevin (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) You're welcome. Can you verify that you got my email messages regarding the source tree you sent me? I never got any responses to the messages I sent you, and I want to make sure they got through. --Travis (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hi Travis, I did not get any emails from you about the code tree. Would you please try again? Thanks, Kevin (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I understand and respect wisdom of the the LSC's decision to not define where to store unofficial parts. I was wondering if the LSC would consider defining how one defines the paths to unofficial directories? At least that would give us some (...) (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Is PARTS.LST the file that gets generated by some DOS utility in the original LDraw distribution? You can't rely on that being present. Not being able to rely on a DOS utility, Bricksmith reads the part library and generates its own XML parts (...) (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hi Kevin, I bet you've already found what Travis's talking about; if not the tutorial can be found here: (URL) I used <LDRAWDIR>Unofficial_Parts since MLCad was the first prog supporting unofficial parts but agreed with Travis and Allen to (...) (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Sorry to everyone else for having this on a public forum, but since Kevin doesn't appear to be receiving my emails, I feel that I need to post this here. I just resent all the messages I've sent you in the past month or so. I strongly suspect (...) (16 years ago, 24-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) As will LPub before it is made available to the public. Thus the comment about short sighted. Now that I have an example on what to do, I'll implement that instead. There is one class that will have to be changed, and no one else needs to know (...) (16 years ago, 25-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Thanks Willy! I'll work on this very soon. Kevin (16 years ago, 25-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Yeah, gotta work on that... But hey, the kids just got a macbook! And, as of yesterday, it has a sneaky ssh login just for me so I can soak up some of the idle cycles from across the living room. But...my notes on libpng for OS-X are about 5 (...) (16 years ago, 26-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) How about I send you a universal binary of a static libpng? (If I remember correctly, it was a real pain to make.) (...) I think I got mine via BrickSmith, which is kind of sad, really, but I just checked, and LDView will happily download the (...) (16 years ago, 26-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) One of those. (...) No. They don't distribute the full library; you would have to merge together all the updates with the original LDraw DOS package. Not fun. (...) Wherever you want it. If Bricksmith is installed, you can find out where the (...) (16 years ago, 26-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Thanks guys for all the help. I grabbed BrickSmith and moved the ldraw folder that came with it to /Library. I wanted both anyhow so it seemed to be the way to go. Then I built a new (universal?) ldglite with your static libpng and some (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hi Don, It worked! Now I just have to figure out how to get my main menu and popup menus to work on the Mac from Qt! Thanks! Kevin (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) <snip> LPub does not need a total list of parts, so it doesn't have to scan all the paths. It does need the titles of parts that are used however. Since parts.lst is a precomupted list of some of them, LPub reads it and puts the contents in an (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) So, popup menus work, but my main menu does not show up. I found this information on trolltech: (URL) I don't know what it means to run out of a bundle. Qmake created lpub.app Contents Info.plist MacOS PkgInfo Info.plist contains <?xml version (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I believe a MAC version mklist utility used to generate the PARTS.LST file comes bundled with the OS-X version of ldglite. Source code is available, so anyone can build it on whatever platform they like. There may be better ways to build the (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) OK, that's very very strange. LDView's main menu "just worked" (mostly). I had to do some fixups to make it fit the Mac style, but it was perfectly usable without those. It "just works" when compiled with QT 4 also. (...) Menu" on a Mac isn't (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Just out of curiosity, what IS in the menu bar when the LPub window is the current active window? --Travis (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I'm not too familiar with Qt or Trolltech's recommendations, so maybe someone else can help work out what you need to do. The Mac version of LDView 3.2 is a Qt app, so maybe Travis can get you started. The application bundle structure applies (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) All I get is a single menu item in the menu bar above the desktop. It says LPub. The contents of the menu are not from LPub though. I've built LPub using QMainWindow. It has a function that returns a pointer to the menuBar(). I build all my (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) LDView has its main menu inside the .ui file for the main window. It was created and is maintained in QT Designer. Take a look at LDView.ui to see if there's anything obviously different there. --Travis (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Perfect - many thx! Don't think there is any need for "development" but "<LDRAWDIR>LSynth" wouldn't hurt. You could then store all constraints and synthesis parts in that folder without the need to mix them with the official parts or rebuild (...) (16 years ago, 27-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I figured that Development would be use by parts authors. I was offering it as an alternative to D:work_in_progress. LSynth it is. Kev (16 years ago, 28-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hmmm..... one major difference is that I didn't use the designer for any of my GUI. I wonder if that is why things are different. Kevin (16 years ago, 28-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) I'm guessing it's related, but there's presumably something you did that QT Designer doesn't do, or vice versa. Obviously QT is designed so that apps can be written completely without using QT Designer. One thing you might do is create a (...) (16 years ago, 28-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) problem fixed. extern void qt_mac_set_native_me...bar(bool); qt_mac_set_native_me...bar(true); Kevin (16 years ago, 29-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) If you used my code as an example for Core GL setup, then the error was due to a bug in my code. If not, put the following in your CGLPixelFormatAttribute array, and it should work even via ssh: CGLPixelFormatAttribute attrs = (...) (16 years ago, 29-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) OK, now that's just plain weird. Glad to hear it's fixed, though. --Travis (16 years ago, 29-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Actually it turned out that despite the warning message my settings did work from a remote ssh login as a different user. The old AGL code, while it worked locally (that was a surprise), did not work remotely and produced the same warning (...) (16 years ago, 30-Mar-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Apparently this is working for others, but when I run it (on an original MacBook in OS 10.4), all I get is a bus error. Did you compile it as a Leopard app? --Travis (16 years ago, 18-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Err, I rushed it and sorta botched the build. So a few files got built with no PPC code. I rebuilt it, but didn't get a chance to borrow an older machine to test it on yet. Hey, maybe (probably) you know this. What's involved in supporting a (...) (16 years ago, 20-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Actually, I don't have a PPC Mac, just the previous OS version. I believe that if you don't get everything right for the "universal" stuff, it will give you an error at link time. I know that's what it does to me if any of the libraries aren't (...) (16 years ago, 21-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) That's interesting. I built it on a new laptop with the version of XCode that comes with leopard. However I just added the arch targets to the old makefile (but missed one of the libraries). So I guess the default is to target leopard only. I (...) (16 years ago, 21-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) No idea. Whatever it is, it needs Tiger, though, since LDView is built to require Tiger. It presumably needs a G4. --Travis (16 years ago, 21-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) For what it's worth, Tiger will run on a 300 MHz G3. While it certainly wasn't fast, I don't recall ever encountering any software that simply said "I need a G4". That's not to say there's no reason why such software couldn't or shouldn't (...) (16 years ago, 21-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Since I already lost this once, I'm gonna stash it here just in case. To compile something that runs on Tiger from a makefile on Leopard add this: CFLAGS+= -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk LDFLAGS+= -isysroot (...) (16 years ago, 23-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Good idea. (...) I'll be happy to be your Tiger test subject, but I can only test Intel. --Travis (16 years ago, 23-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Ok, give (URL) this one> a try. (16 years ago, 23-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) That one works for LPub. The buffer isn't getting flushed to the screen right. I have to resize or force a redraw in order. Are you calling CGLFlushDrawable at the end of your drawing code? --Travis (16 years ago, 24-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) No, I use glfinish(). I've had all sorts of problems over the years with Apple because I often render in the front buffer to emulate the various ancient ldlite immediate rendering modes. Does it update ok when you spin the model with the (...) (16 years ago, 24-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Sorry about the self reply, but now I'm really curious about this. I found myself an old G4 EMac with a Geforce2 and OSX Tiger for testing and everything worked ok. It also worked on an Intel Macbook with the Intel GMA X3100 graphics. So I (...) (16 years ago, 29-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Sorry for not responding, but I didn't remember to look at it while I was at home. I'll try to do so tonight. (...) Actually, my Intel MacBook (one of the original ones) has Intel motherboard graphics. Probably a different model than yours, (...) (16 years ago, 29-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Here's my info: Vendor: Intel Inc. Renderer: Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine Version: 1.2 APPLE-1.4.56 --Travis (16 years ago, 30-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hmmm, I guess that's slightly different from the GMA X3100, which seemed to work for me. If you get a chance, try and run it with -n4 on the command line. That should render everything in the back buffer like 99.99% of the opengl programs out (...) (16 years ago, 30-Apr-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) The -n4 didn't have any noticeable effect. What exactly does n4 mean. I know it means "draw to back buffer", but what does the n and the 4 mean? --Travis (16 years ago, 1-May-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Arrgh, that's not good. It worked for me whenever I had a problem like that. I guess I'll have to use the OSX flush function. Are you by chance using partially transparent windows, or something fancy like that? (...) It's hooked to an ldlite (...) (16 years ago, 1-May-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Nope. It starts out partially under my dock, which I keep on the left. I can't remember if I ever moved it completely out from under the dock or not, but I'm pretty sure I did. (As a note, I looked around, and it appears that (...) (16 years ago, 1-May-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Hmmm, a partially obscured window. Sounds like a clue. I'll have to run some tests with a side mounted dock on the G4. And I should probably look back and see what I did on windows when the annoying popup tooltips were driving me nuts. Thanks, (...) (16 years ago, 1-May-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Well, I pulled the window out from under the dock, and that didn't help. On an unrelated note, why will it only open models in the current directory? If I give the full path to a model in a different directory, it fails to load it. --Travis (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) Yeah, but the hint helped me. With the side mounted dock I was able to reproduce the problem (or a problem at least) on the G4. I cleaned up some of the buffer swapping and window reshaping code, and it seems to work better for me now. Of (...) (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LPub 4 Status

(...) --Travis (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad.dev)