 CAD / Development / 10715
10714  |  10716
Subject:
LPub 4 Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:28:59 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I've got the math and implementation of resolution (dots per
inch/meter/millimeter) as well as magnification for controlling model size
relative to the page all worked out.  Magnification 1.0 means a model that
appears 8 inches wide will just fit in an 8 inch page.  Smaller magnification
makes the model appear smaller, larger magnification lets you zoom into the
model (though you don't have control over where the camera looks). No more
camera distance stuff. No more camera distance stuff. All parts in the entire
building instructions will be at the same scale unless you intentionally change
magnification.

Scalable fonts are the ticket for building instructions, because they are easy
to work with when changing resolution.

One new metacommand

0 !LPUB RESOLUTION <value> (DPI|DPM|DPMM)

defines the resolution.

The values in the LDraw file are either in inches, or centimeters, depending on
what resolution says.  Sorry, no meter or millimeter expressions, just inches or
centimeter.  No unit string like "INCHES" "IN" or "CM".  The units are implied
by resolution.

One issue is that some meta-commands currently are in pixels (margins, divider
thickness, etc.)  If LPub does not see a RESOLUTION metacommand it will assume
pixels, and convert them internally to inches.  The ldraw file could remain in
pixels, or I could let you choose to convert.

I'm no officianado on the metric system and desk top publishing so if there are
any interesting topics specific to this, please let me know.

I just wanted to boast a bit (ok, maybe more than a bit) at what LPub 4 is like.

A long time ago Ahui pointed out that LPub 1 was not really a building
instruction generator. It just automated the process of creating some of the
artwork for building instructions. LPub 2 tried to address this with layouts,
but it was combersome and problematic at best. LPub 4 is a building instruction
editor.  LPub 3 was aborted.

LPub 4 is page oriented and shows you the building instructions in the page as
they appear after applying all the meta commands.  You specify all margins, line
thicknesses, and the page size in the units you chose when specifying
resolution.  You can zoom in and out, and scroll around the page.  You can save
the building instructions to a PDF file.  Sorry, no web page stuff yet.

You can convert a submodel to a callout with one menu choice "Convert to
Callout".  You can move the callout around the screen by clicking to select and
then click, drag, and release.  You can add a pointer with one menu choice.  If
possible, LPub provides you with a horizontal or vertical pointer.  If not
possible it bases the pointer in corner closest to the assembly image.  If you
do not like the pointer, you can drag the tip around, you can move the base
around, and change the base thickness, all with the mouse. Arrows (rather than
the triangle based pointers) will come later.

You can have nested callouts.

To go from single step to a (multi) step group, you use one of two menus "Add
Next Step" or "Add Previous Step".  To move a step to the next or previous
row/column (i.e. past a divider) takes one menu click.  You can have nested
callouts inside the step group, or inside the page.

With all these activities, LPub updates the LDraw file with the proper
metacommands, which you don't have to know.

You can manually edit the LDraw file from within LPub too (for those advanced
features not yet implemented in the GUI).

You will be able to specify Parts List parts (of a specific color) individual
magnification as well as orientation (not done yet).  Half-size and orientation
files supported.  You can turn on/off parts list per step in callout/step
groups. You can not have parts lists in your instructions.

Much tighter syntax checking with feedback from the edit window highlighting the
line in error.

It does not require L3P, only ldglite 1.2 or higher.  You provide a
magnification.  If it is not right, you change it.  LPub will not automatically
adjust if the model is cropped by edge of page.

There is help for each menu item.  There are balloons that tell you what the
model path is (e.g. /rooster.ldr/right-leg.ldr), as well as simple balloons that
tell you you are in a callout, or step number, or page number.)

I've worked hard at using simple vocabulary... placement becomes move, scale
becomes size, PLIs become parts lists, multi-step groups (a bit redundant eh?)
become step groups.  Callouts are still called callouts.  I want kids to be able
to use it easily.

I don't have a comprehensive help/tutorial done.

There are some advanced things not done yet:

insertion of pictures

pages without any steps in the (cover page, inside cover page, inside back page,
back page).

insertion of simple drawing shapes like lines, arrows, triangles, rectangles,
etc.

insertion of arbitrary text.

There are some not done yet having to do with the PLI:

Resize the PLI with the mouse.

Substitute some of the parts in the PLI with this other part.

Ignore these parts and don't put them in the PLI.

BOM is not done, but I'd like to implement an interactive BOM mechanism where
you can get a list of the steps where all the parts are used, click one, and
automatically go to the page/step where it was added to the model.

These things will not be finished before you get a chance to try it, but this
will:

Individual magnification and orientation of parts in PLI.

Due to compiler differences, I've got to do some work before it will even
compile for the Mac (but that is all mechanical, very little actual figuring out
stuff needs to be done.)

Did I whet your appetite?

Kevin