 CAD / Development / 10757
Re: LPub 4 Status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:35:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Allen Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   In PLI’s, LPub displays the parts color name (from LDConfig), the part number (yes, even on the Mac version Allan!), and the part title. Currently I get these titles from PARTS.LST, but that is not sufficient, and it is a short sighted implementation.

Is PARTS.LST the file that gets generated by some DOS utility in the original LDraw distribution? You can’t rely on that being present. Not being able to rely on a DOS utility, Bricksmith reads the part library and generates its own XML parts list; I assume other programs do something similar.

snip

LPub does not need a total list of parts, so it doesn’t have to scan all the paths. It does need the titles of parts that are used however. Since parts.lst is a precomupted list of some of them, LPub reads it and puts the contents in an associative array.

If we need the title for a part not in the array, we check the list of paths (which now includes Unofficial/Parts, et. al.). If found, the part file is opened, then title extracted and thrown in the associative array.

So, Willy, LPub supports the unofficial parts path stuff, including Helpers, and Custom Parts. Do we want to add Development/Parts Development/P? Development/P48?

So, this leads to a few more questions......

Allen, You know those obtuse MLCad meta’s we talked about, like rotation step, buffer exchange, GHOST? Sounds because LPub supports these, you might want to add them to BrickSmith.

Don, Did you get a chance to add the unofficial path support to LDGLite?

Kevin