 Trains / Train Organizations / 1173
Re: ICLTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:17:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Todd Lehman writes:

The organisation is a great idea, but I'd rather see Congress
than Brotherhood. Why be gratuitously exclusive when it's not necessary?

The BLE has female members.

Further, clubs don't even HAVE a gender, it's a brotherhood of CLUBS not of
club members.

Why be gratuitiously PC when it's not necessary?

Regardless of being or not being PC, I think it's a sexist, stupid name.

I think this is one of those cases where the few outway the many...

If some people think the name is sexist and stupid (I do as well) then I don't
think we should use it.  Being traditional doesn't make it right, besides to
many people wouldn't know it was traditional and would/could be offended.  Why
have a name we constantly have to defend if we can give ourselves a name that
is both meaningful and not controversial.

Again I vote for IOLTC...

Just my $.02

Eric Kingsley