 Trains / Train Organizations / 1160
Re: IBLTC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:07:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Steven Barile writes:
Great, Fire it up! First one done wins! I have no preferences.

I think I would perfer IBLTC, because the train unions are typically
"International Brotherhood of...".  I know that the Live Steamers use
IBLS (International Brotherhood of Live Steamers).  It functions as a
volentary overview of the hobby, with a east coast and a west coast rep.
(No, I am not a member, somewhat supprisingly...)

Wow, that's kind of surprising to hear.  I've been meaning to ask, as this
thread has unfolded...  Are women allowed in LEGO train clubs, or is it a
boys-only thing?

What do *you* think? (or was that a facetious question? :-) )

I would prefer not to belong to any club that excludes girls. (I *like*
girls, just ask me, they're fun to have around) I can think of at least one
girl member of most of the train clubs I am aware of, and I am not just
counting spouses. Female participation in LEOG trains is much lower than
female share of the general population, but if anything (non scientific
guess) I suspect it may be proportionally a bit higher than some other sub
branches of our great hobby. (Space springs to mind, for example). I think
(again, non scientific) it's higher in LEGO trains than it is in
conventional model railroading, too.

Note that "Brotherhood" as an organization name goes way way way back.  (not
sure HOW far back exactly but here's a place to start digging:
http://www.ble.org/)

Railroad unions were some of the very first unions to form. It has a lot of
historical significance. Since "the brotherhood of man" includes not one,
but TWO male specific words, yet everyone knows it refers to the entire race
of humans, I see no reason not to go with such a neato historical term in
the name of PC-ness.

++Lar

--Todd